Irradiance Cache usage OK for RTT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irradiance Cache usage OK for RTT?

The Spot3D docs aren't entirely clear on the camera dependency issues with IR for GI.

If I'm performing a Render to Texture Bake and one of the render elements being baked is VrayGlobalIllumination or VrayRawGLobalIllumination, is it safe to use IR as the primary GI method for the bake?

Or am I forced to go with Brute Force for both primary and secondary as it is entirely camera independent?

Thanks.

It's ok to use the irradiance map; however textures are often baked across object boundaries - f.e. the floor of a room would usually be covered by the walls, causing sharp transition between lit and completely black areas. The irradiance map tends to blur such transitions a bit, which could lead to artifacts and GI leaks in corners.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

so irradiance map is not camera based?
      Dmitry Vinnik
      Silhouette Images Inc.
      ShowReel:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
        so irradiance map is not camera based?
        It is, but in that case the "camera" simply generates rays over the surface of a given object. It doesn't have to be a perspective camera.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Vlado, can you minimize the potential light leaking by upping the max rate for the IR?

And if you can, does it start getting into the same render times as just going with BF/BF?

Comment

Originally posted by rleas View Post
            Vlado, can you minimize the potential light leaking by upping the max rate for the IR?
            Yes, of course.

And if you can, does it start getting into the same render times as just going with BF/BF?
            That depends on the particular case, you'll need to test.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Working...
            X