Two-sided Frosted Glass question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-sided Frosted Glass question

I have a glass door on a cabinet that I'm trying to model with VR2. In real life, one side is glossy (the side that's facing the camera), and the other side of it has a heavy stipple pattern to it, almost like the plastic ceiling grids that cover fluorescent lights. The only approach that I know about is to created a one-dimensional material with a combination of refraction glossiness, noise, etc, but I'm wondering if there's ever a time when it would be more appropriate to actually construct a two-sided piece of glass? Does that make sense?

Dave
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

just do it like it is in real life. your glass will have a thickness to it say 6mm or whatever. Apply standard glass to the whole thing. Make another material for the frosted section. Can maybe use glass material as temp[late to start from. In reflection and refraction use a mask to mask out the frosted bits. Go into subobject poly level. Select the poly for the "frost" and apply your new frost material.
    Done
    You'll end up with a block (your glass window) with 5 sides having glass applied and the 6th side having the glass/frosted mask applied and the 2 materials will be in a multisubmaterial
    works well

BUT
    "real" frosted is made from putting a glossy in your reFRACTION say for example 0.8 or whatever. This is one of the most expensive render things out there meaning it will push up your render time.
    You can fake the frost with maps and leave the glossy in refraction at 1
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Working...
    X