jagged edges through glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jagged edges through glass

i am getting jagged edges along some objects when seeing the objects through a piece of glass.

is this a material problem with the glass or is it a rendering issue (anti-aliasing setting - currently set to adaptive 1-2)?

sean

does it help if you change your IOR settings and the thickness of the glass?
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

its currently just a single pane of glass and the IOR is set to 1.0. I'll bump it to 1.6(?) and see what happens.

Comment

It almost looks like an AA issue. If you look at the lower windows below the one your ponting to the "bumps" are closer together.

-dave
        Cheers,
        -dave
        â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

turns out it was the location of the model in the scene. i inherited the model which had been built atop the siteplan (from Autocad), which was located about 900,000' in the x and y direction from the origin point in MAX. when i moved the whole model to near the origin, the problem went away.

thanks for the help though!
          sean

Comment

good old max eh...accurate at the origins only it seems...
            Digital Progression

Comment

good old max eh...accurate at the origins only it seems...
              ...........so it seems.....

this seems like one of those problems that can potentially drive one up the wall, before one thinks about it.
              good to keep in mind.....

paul

Comment

my question is ... why do civil engineers ALWAYS create their drawings so far away from the origin point? Autocad seems to handle it fine, so when you start the plans, its no big deal. but, then bring it into MAX and everything is shot to hell. So, for the rest of the project, you have to keep relocating the model to the origin point, after you do the 3d work on top of the plans. annoying!!!

Comment

im curious as to what would happen if you had a really big scene, like a city or something....would the render quality get more and more crappy as say the camera flew to the outer parts of the city??

Comment

im curious as to what would happen if you had a really big scene, like a city or something....would the render quality get more and more crappy as say the camera flew to the outer parts of the city??

that's a really good question.......it would almost look intentional......hehehe...like a special effect, or something...

kidding apart, though.....you're right, I wonder when would you really start to see the degradation........I guess you could always scale everything down, say by 50%.........

paul.

Comment

yeah...at what point does it start...is it gradual or does it happen instantly at a certain point, and geometry that extends past that certain point gets messed up when rendered. I reckon it would be fun to test, just have 1 big long box, with glass plates on it, and run a camera up it and see what point it starts acting weird.

Comment

I experienced similar problem too. You may want to take a look here :
                        http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...?p=39716#39716

I then tried to shift my model to the thick black grid line (isn't that the origin point?) ... but problem persists

Comment

About very big scene's... I can tell you what happens, MAX messes up totally. I by passed this problem by scaling the scene down. Normally I work in mm, for big cityscapes, meters is better. For some reason behind the comma numbers are less problamatic for MAX. Only problem I found was when I tried to zoom in on a very tiny object. It rendered well, but I couldn't see it in my viewport.

Marc

Comment

Max works with single precision numbers, which typically have 6 to 7 decimal digits precision. For example, the numbers 20000.002 and 20000.001 are represented in exactly the same way and the computer can't distinguish between them. The same is true for 200000.02 and 200000.01; and for 2000.0002 and 2000.0001 etc.

Basically as your numbers get bigger, the precision after the decimal point becomes less and less. The reverse is also true - smaller numbers allow for better fractional precision.

This is why you should always model your stuff closer to the origin. If the geometry is too far away, the bigger numbers will eat up all of the fractional precision and things will start to mess up.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

shame to max programmer who have done this!

Comment

Working...
                              X