controling white balance problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• controling white balance problem

What are the tricks to control precisely white balance. For example lets say I'm using some morning sun HDRI to light the scene. I'm getting orange color cast in interior. Now I'm setting camera temperature to get rid of orange and have neutral grey on white walls. But it's hard to get it right there's always some color cast, bluish or yellowish. I'm tryuing to achieve grey color as Bertrand in his White Vicarage work: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbb3viz...57632462224257
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Have you tried the "white ball" approach?
    Stick a large white ball in the middle of your scene and render. Right click on the brightest spot on the ball and measure RGB. Use that as value as your rgb white balance and rerender. Your white should now be white
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
      Have you tried the "white ball" approach?
      Stick a large white ball in the middle of your scene and render. Right click on the brightest spot on the ball and measure RGB. Use that as value as your rgb white balance and rerender. Your white should now be white
      This is the method I use too. Be careful that your camera that you rendered the white ball is set to neutral though.

Another thing to consider is that you don't always necessarily want your image to be completely balanced. Sometimes a bit of warmth or coolness can be good.
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket
      ----------------------------------->
      http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Thank you guys! Will do. Just one thing. If I'm not setting my white walls to white white 255.255.255 but 200.200.200. should I also set the ball the same?
        Luke Szeflinski
        :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

Originally posted by lukx View Post
          Thank you guys! Will do. Just one thing. If I'm not setting my white walls to white white 255.255.255 but 200.200.200. should I also set the ball the same?
          Yes I would set the ball the same (200,200,200)
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

It might be pretty hard to get rid of all color variation via whitebalance because HDRIs usually have a pretty wide range of color. Why not desaturate the HDRI instead?
            Ville Kiuru
            www.flavors.me/vkiuru

Comment

Just a wild idea.. but if you want the lighting to be absolutely without color.. why not use color correction in front where you turn down saturation completely ?

edit: yyk was faster

Comment

As long as your 'ball' is neutral and you pick that with a neutral camera, you have white balanced. However, as others have said, scenes with a complex mix of lighting (daylight/fluro/tungsten/hdr etc) will be difficult to balance completely. Just the same, in fact, as with real world photography.
                Kind Regards,
                Richard Birket
                http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

I read a good trick, but it's done in post.

find middle gray in your scene

create a new layer
                  fill it with 50% gray
                  change blending mode from normal to difference
                  add a threshold layer
                  move the slider to the left and slowly slide to the right until you see black
                  sample it by holding shift
                  delete the threshold and the 50% gray layers
                  get the RBG value of your sample (info window)
                  average your RGB numbers
                  apply a curve
                  go to red, green, blue
                  pick a point on the curve and nudge to average
                  Last edited by glorybound; 25-02-2013, 11:52 AM.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com
                  e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                  phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                  • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

from the comments:
                    Lighting is just one Peter Guthrie HDR map. It is desaturated in Photoshop,

http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/2013...#comment-40469

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                      As long as your 'ball' is neutral and you pick that with a neutral camera, you have white balanced. However, as others have said, scenes with a complex mix of lighting (daylight/fluro/tungsten/hdr etc) will be difficult to balance completely. Just the same, in fact, as with real world photography.
                      Bingo - most photographers tend to see which is the easiest light source to either remove or gel towards the dominant one.

Comment

Depending on you scene, sometimes turning up the GI multiplier in Vray properties for the object could dissipate some of the color cast. It will brighten the object up though.
                        Daniel Black
                        Archtagon LLC
                        www.archtagon.com

Comment

Working...
                        X