No announcement yet.

Speckles with HDR lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use hdr's all the time and i don't really get these issues.

though I'm doing arch viz renders and not car renders.

I am interested if its a problem with the hdr your using, or a material issue.

what res is the hdr and whats the dynamic range on it?

maybe send me a pm and i can send you a hdr to test and see if you still getting problems with it.

Chris

Comment

We use Hdri Lighting in most of our Jobs...if you use DMC sampler there are many ways to get rid of noisey areas and speckles...Material settings, Light Subdivs, Gi Settings, its a bit hard to give you tips because you need to experiment wich settings are the best in your case.
      If you had some time you should read this article about the DMC sampler:
      http://interstation3d.com/tutorials/...yfing_dmc.html

Cheers Tommy
      Reel 2011 Online!!!
      http://3daily.de/

Comment

I ran into a very similar problem recently with a dusk shot lit by a sunset HDR and vray sun. Nearly all materials in the scene had some amount of glossy reflection and I was getting very distinct speckles peppering one of the building facades that was picking up the sun in the HDR map. I tried all kinds of settings: increasing the dome light subdivs as high as 100, increasing the materials glossy reflection subdivs as high as 250, turning off use LC for glossy reflections, clamping output to 5 (but I did not want to clamp lower than that) and probably a few other things that combined reduced the amount and intensity of the speckles but just could not get rid of them. In the end what really solved it for me was to paint out the sun in the HDR map using the clone stamp tool in Photoshop. In the map, the sun was directly visible and pixels in the sun center had float values as high as 7700, while others areas of the sky had float values around 0.8, so a huge dynamic range. I just clone stamped in areas of the sky somewhat near the sun to conceal it completely and the speckles went away. On top of that you could try blurring the HDR with a gaussian blur so the changes in brightness are smoother.

Comment

Hello tricky

Is it possible to send us example scene including the HDR you are using ?
          Thank you very much in advance.
          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
          X