Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
    Grant:
    Just wondering how will those materials work with those subdivs in vray 3.0
    Sorry if this has been already said in this long thread, but do you actually playn to do some conversion for future vray 3 users?
    Thanks!
    Already done bro!
    admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
    Mastering CGI
    CGSociety Folio
    CREAM Studios
    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
      you would not believe how wrong the settings through Solidrocks optimisation in fact are!
      Look, I don't mean to be a dick but Solid rocks in my opinion is useless and for a stills artist, completely irrelevant.

I say that because who here can let a bad quality render go out the door? Anyone?...We want all our shots looking MINT so settings for the final should always be high quality and if the image sampler is doing its job and the scene has correct subdivs the only "setting" button you should choose is the color threshold.

Set it to .1 and get psycho fast renders but very noisy. good for previews
      or .007 for absolutely no noise

----------------------
      Mastering CGI
      CGSociety Folio
      CREAM Studios
      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• looking forward to your vray intro video then!!!! Cant wait!

on the SR note, i cant but agree. I only ended up using it to knock down/up the light and material subdivs to certain numbers on one go
        it may be good for certain situations but for high quality stills its not what i would suggest to use.

Correction:
        didn not mean to flame SR, it kind of helped me in certain situations a lot and to understand relationship between settgins, mainly the IR scizors in relation to render size
        Last edited by PIXELBOX_SRO; 13-11-2013, 08:56 AM.
        Martin
        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• Please count me in Grant! Thanks!!!

Comment

• I work in a firm that requires me to pump out an insane amount of images per week. The subject matter varies wildly (interiors, exteriors, high-detail, low-detail etc etc etc). For me SR is invaluable for ease of use and it being a kind of "set and forget" tool. I would love to spend time tweaking, playing and learning with vray but I'd be here all night...
            James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
            Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

• Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
              I would love to spend time tweaking, playing and learning with vray but I'd be here all night...
              Only for the first few nights, then after that you'd be done even quicker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
                I work in a firm that requires me to pump out an insane amount of images per week. The subject matter varies wildly (interiors, exteriors, high-detail, low-detail etc etc etc). For me SR is invaluable for ease of use and it being a kind of "set and forget" tool. I would love to spend time tweaking, playing and learning with vray but I'd be here all night...
                All good man, I'll try and explain how to overcome this while still pumping out work.

----------------------
                Mastering CGI
                CGSociety Folio
                CREAM Studios
                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Fantastic
                  James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                  Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

• Hey Grant,

Count me in, I would love to explore this

Thanks

Stan
                    3LP Team

Comment

• Once I get to 50 people interested in pre purchasing I will hold off selling it to others for a couple of months seeing as you are the core Vray users.
                      That way you will all have a head start before it ultimately gets torrented and I have time to keep the library updated.

Cheers.

Locking the final price at $120, $100 for those who helped as well as free materials to those who suggested them.

Originally posted by ralphr View Post
                      Please don't slap me if this is actually pretty easy but I always had problems recreating a bubblegum/paint shader(without "opacity maps) almost completely translucent on the thin parts and opaque on the thick.

Here two examples of what I mean.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]16373[/ATTACH]
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]16374[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16375[/ATTACH]
                      I'd like to at least test this but it ultimately comes down to the geometry.

----------------------
                      Mastering CGI
                      CGSociety Folio
                      CREAM Studios
                      Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Last week i had to create 20 different interior shots + 40 color/material variations.....60renders in 2 weeks A4/300dpi
                        I will definitelly have great chances of testing your materials in various scene settings.
                        I wish vray 3.0 came out a bit earlier )))
                        Martin
                        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• Ahahaha that's a lot of renders but I don't think anyone will ever touch the tiger beer job I worked on.

37000 pixels wide by 12800 high, half the screen was 2.8 billion poly's of cgi barley filled cluster fuck including two tasty glossily refracted beer bottles with caustics.

----------------------
                          Mastering CGI
                          CGSociety Folio
                          CREAM Studios
                          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                            I'd like to at least test this but it ultimately comes down to the geometry.
                            Thanks grant for giving it a spin and yeah I'm aware that it depends on good geometry. Especially on fluidsims where it's pretty hard to get a mesh really thin.

Btw do you already know how we will be able to pay?
                            Cheers,
                            Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

• I'm in

Would be nice to get some fabric type of things like carpets / curtains / upholstery in various finishes like silk, leather, velvet, suede, woven stuff

Also natural stuff for natural ground surfaces like different kinds of sand, stones, rocks etc

Painted/Airbrushed/powder coated Aircraft metal - shiny civilian stuff vs matte military stuff
                              Last edited by Morne; 14-11-2013, 01:33 AM.
                              Kind Regards,
                              Morne

Comment

• Hey Grant, please count me in, too.
                                https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Working...
                                X