Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Raven View Post
    Hey Grant

Hope there are still places left, sent an email this morning.
    Really looking forward to seeing your workflow.

Cheers
    Gavin
    Only just got your email now!? But you made it just!
    admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
    Mastering CGI
    CGSociety Folio
    CREAM Studios
    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Whilst not a complete shader - is it possible to create something similar to vray edgetex but one that you can define convex or concave angle (similar to Soulburn vertex script) but one that can be used for bump mapping?

Also I'd like to join the club. I could learn a lot from these shaders.
      Win10 x64, 3DS Max 2017 19.0, Vray 3.60.03
      Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, Aurous Gaming 7 x399,

Comment

• Just an update that I've got 4 open spots left however I'm waiting on payment from about 10 others who have contacted me.
        If you haven't paid and someone else gets in first I don't want to hear complaints :P

----------------------
        Mastering CGI
        CGSociety Folio
        CREAM Studios
        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Back to procedural, I will be glad to learn how to set it up properly. Ready made procedural shader will not lead to understand how to master them.
          Such map are unpredictable in render because they don't show properly in the viewport. I've been trying the TexmapPreview from Neil Belvins, but that's really a trial & error process and what should take Seconds takes Hours.
          Bercon (last version 3.03), is even more unpredictable than the standard procedural, the cheker is the only one that display more or less properly in viewport when playing with the material editor option (scale) as per Autodesk advice (not really workflow friendly)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	BerconMap.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	850875Click image for larger version

Name:	Procedural_Marble.JPG
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	850874Click image for larger version

Name:	Procedural_Noise.JPG
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	850873

Comment

• Originally posted by fraggle View Post
            Back to procedural, I will be glad to learn how to set it up properly. Ready made procedural shader will not lead to understand how to master them.
            Such map are unpredictable in render because they don't show properly in the viewport. I've been trying the TexmapPreview from Neil Belvins, but that's really a trial & error process and what should take Seconds takes Hours.
            Bercon (last version 3.03), is even more unpredictable than the standard procedural, the cheker is the only one that display more or less properly in viewport when playing with the material editor option (scale) as per Autodesk advice (not really workflow friendly)
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]17326[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17325[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17324[/ATTACH]
            Once bercon has raped you a few times, you don't even feel the pain anymore. It's a beautiful relationship really.

----------------------
            Mastering CGI
            CGSociety Folio
            CREAM Studios
            Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• I have to second Fraggles request
              I think it will be uber important to know how to handle those procedurals in order to come up to great results and you show in your test scenes.
              Luckinly enough max2014 lets you setup the procedural texture display resolution
              Its great that you work in CM scale for start ...i suspect you have system and display unit in CM too Grant?....sorry if this has bee said already

just read your reply Grant ))))) LOL
              ....the worst thing abou Bercon is that everytime there is a version, you have to reset everything from scratch, its not compatible at all. Its still great tool though. But i hate being raped constantly
              still ...a quick walkthrough for procedurals you use would be great....could be in text, no need for a video
              Last edited by PIXELBOX_SRO; 26-11-2013, 02:15 AM.
              Martin
              http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• Speaking of Master Bercon, is he still active?
                I have had severe problems with Bercon Gradient, crashing max 50% of the time (on 2012 and 2014), and even tried emailing him, but he seems to have gone into hiding or something.
                Edit: BerconGradient in random mode. The only really usefull mode.
                I have come to think it is somehow linked to the way he connects/disconnects input maps, as you can see in the slate editor when switching between them, but it might be wild guess.
                Last edited by trixian; 26-11-2013, 02:30 AM.
                Signing out,
                Christian

Comment

Back to procedural, I will be glad to learn how to set it up properly. Ready made procedural shader will not lead to understand how to master them.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]17326[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17325[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17324[/ATTACH]
                  This as both puzzled and annoyed me for years, until I read a comment Neil Blevins made in one of his tutorials (and I'm paraphrasing, as I can't remember which one), --it just doesn't work and never will--
                  So I put it down to yet another one of those Max thing and got on with it. However to me it always seems to be a scale problem, in that the on-screen and the preview sphere are out buy a factor of 10 or even 100 maybe.
                  I wish I understood a bit more about the link between the 2...anyway I digress...more textures please I'm feeling hungry
                  Simon

.... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- .--. .-.. . .- ... . ... . -. -.. -.-. .... --- -.-. --- .-.. .- - .
                  I need a new signature
                  --
                  Max2017.1 | Vray 3.70.01| win11
                  ASUS Z790PLUS | i9 13900K | 64Gb RAM | Geforce GTX4070Ti

Comment

• Originally posted by trixian View Post
                    Speaking of Master Bercon, is he still active?
                    Bercon is now open source and Jerry did not support it any more, it's up to the community to get it works.

Comment

• back again to procedural : http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educat...tal_noise.html
                      Neil's blog is, to my knowledge, the best educational blog regarding CG.

Comment

back again to procedural : http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educat...tal_noise.html
                        Neil's blog is, to my knowledge, the best educational blog regarding CG.
                        Over the last 10 years, neil is in the top 3 most influential CGI people I've ever seen.

As for how I "handle?" the fact that the previews don't always line up (you can change the viewport scale value in the mat editor settings to get it very close) What I do is do all my testing on a vray light material doing quick preview renders.
                        Obviously I've played with it for countless hours so its a bit intuition at this point but it works for me and still feels pretty fast.

----------------------
                        Mastering CGI
                        CGSociety Folio
                        CREAM Studios
                        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Grant i've drop you an email, i hope its not too late.
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Arch Pedro A. Solano
                          "Save the irradiance map, save the render"
                          Vray 3.10.03|3DMax 2011 x64|Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz|16GB Ram|Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
                          Follow us on facebook
                          Visit us on PSolano

Comment

• Originally posted by oligophant View Post
                            Grant i've drop you an email, i hope its not too late.
                            Didn't receive an email.

there is one more spot left (Unless I don't receive payment from the 4 or 5 other guys who emailed me)

admin@sathe.com.au?

----------------------
                            Mastering CGI
                            CGSociety Folio
                            CREAM Studios
                            Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• No problem, maybe it's on your spam, i'll send you a PM with my mail adress.
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Arch Pedro A. Solano
                              "Save the irradiance map, save the render"
                              Vray 3.10.03|3DMax 2011 x64|Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz|16GB Ram|Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
                              Follow us on facebook
                              Visit us on PSolano

Comment

• Grant-

I just sent you an email, Been too busy playing hear at work that I missed looking at this thread over the last couple weeks. Hope I caught you in time.

-Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X