Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No worries man. I figured as much, and thank you for clearing it up and being mindful of it.

Looking forward to seeing more good stuff coming from you Grant.
    Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
    Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
    V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

• Originally posted by joconnell View Post
      Unfortunately not, it's something that's been talked about but it's also something that's partially dealt with by using the maxstart.max file with a few minutes tweaking things to your liking.
      Yes I've got a very custom maxstart.max for our studio, but I didn't know you could predetermine the subdivs for materials and lights?

Comment

• Originally posted by m_hinks View Post
        Yes I've got a very custom maxstart.max for our studio, but I didn't know you could predetermine the subdivs for materials and lights?
        I see little value in changing the default as jobs tend to call on assets from many origins and workflows that is why I wrote the VMC. To that end I am not sure why Chaos have taken it upon themselves to check Fresnel by default...
        Set V-Ray class properties en masse with the VMC script
        Follow me for script updates: @ollyspolys

Comment

• Originally posted by olly View Post
          I see little value in changing the default as jobs tend to call on assets from many origins and workflows that is why I wrote the VMC. To that end I am not sure why Chaos have taken it upon themselves to check Fresnel by default...
          Because to be physically accurate you need it by default. So all new users have it as an easy in tool. Its good its there. If you are advance and don't want to use it then as you are advance user u should be able to find a way to go around it
          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

• You could have a callback script which would adjust the subdivs to 1 on material creation.
            Maxscript made easy....
            davewortley.wordpress.com
            Follow me here:
            facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

• Originally posted by voltron7 View Post
              Sooo Grant, has this thread totally changed to a rendering theory thread?

If so, maybe there is a better place to post material ideas?
              Thanks
              Throwing this back to a materials thread. We have launched a fairly new V-Ray materials resource which offers a load of materials for 3Ds Max for free.

Head over and let us know what you think of the materials.? Also we're always looking for suggestions for new materials.

www.vraymaterials.co.uk
              High quality, photorealistic and Free VRay materials.
              Download FREE VRay materials for 3Ds Max and Maya.

www.vraymaterials.co.uk

Comment

• Now that's a hijacking if ever I've seen one...
                James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

• terrible low end budget materials on that site
                  why is the preview a square shape - cant tell much from it tbh
                  /ban

Comment

• So I'm correct in understanding that we can set all our custom values for the default 24 vraymaterials in the medit window when we start a new scene by using VMC but creating a brand new material with custom settings is currently impossible without some sort of custom scripting?

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
                    You could have a callback script which would adjust the subdivs to 1 on material creation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
                      So I'm correct in understanding that we can set all our custom values for the default 24 vraymaterials in the medit window when we start a new scene by using VMC
                      Or you can overwrite the medit.mat in your current default. Here's a link to the help page, if you are not sure how.
                      Set V-Ray class properties en masse with the VMC script
                      Follow me for script updates: @ollyspolys

Comment

• Great! Thanks

Originally posted by olly View Post
                        Or you can overwrite the medit.mat in your current default. Here's a link to the help page, if you are not sure how.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
                          Now that's a hijacking if ever I've seen one...
                          Ahahahah one of the best I've ever seen.

With that being said, a square "shader-square?" isn't helping your guys cause. I'd strongly consider changing that as in my opinion, you need to see fresnel in order to understand a material.
                          Last edited by grantwarwick; 31-03-2014, 04:06 PM.
                          admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                          Mastering CGI
                          CGSociety Folio
                          CREAM Studios
                          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post

With that being said, a square "shader-square?" isn't helping your guys cause. I'd strongly consider changing that as in my opinion, you need to see fresnel in order to understand a material.
                            flat surface are less expressive than round shape , like for women!

Comment

• Grant, how many more materials are you planning on making for the current subscribers?
                              Kind Regards,
                              Morne

Comment

• I am using the method on my current project. I do have a question.... I am using an HDRI and a VraySun and what's in shadow is nice and blue, but in sun it's yellowish green. I increased the subdivs on both the material and the sun/hdri, but it is still yellow. What should I look into to tune this up? My subdivs on the sun/hdri/material is 200
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com
                                e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                                phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                                • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                                • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X