Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
    Leather is coming not in the next video, but the following!

I'm ALMOST out of my job now. (For those that don't know I resigned 2 weeks ago to take this full time!)

Once I'm out of my job I'll have SO much more time to work on everything Mastering-Vray

Cheers guys, i've taken a couple of weeks rest as I was working psycho hours to get everything done/
    Theres over 400 subscribers now and my brother is helping me out full time

Wow congratz Grant
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

• Hope these are not mentioned yet...
      Old metal as seen in these pictures...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	knob crop.png
Views:	1
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	851578
      Click image for larger version

Name:	exst cabs crop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	851579

Comment

• Hey Grant. Just wanted to ask; why are you using Gamma 1.1 in the latest video? I was under the impression never to change this from 2.2 and if contrast is needed, add it in post.
        James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
        Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

• Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
          Hey Grant. Just wanted to ask; why are you using Gamma 1.1 in the latest video? I was under the impression never to change this from 2.2 and if contrast is needed, add it in post.
          Definitely an error on my behalf due to testing different LUTS throughout the day.
          I don't think it was affecting anything because I wasn't saving out the EXR's but I'll make sure to let people be aware in part 2.
          admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
          Mastering CGI
          CGSociety Folio
          CREAM Studios
          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• ah cool

Comment

• Been spending some time researching your "new" method in Vray 3 from you last video, and we're now converted to NOT using the "divide shading subdivs" option. It did take a bit of time to understand the new number ranges to use so you don't break Vray, but happy that you can control your AA without effecting your nicely setup material/light/GI. Got a very similar render using both methods in very similar times, but with very different numbers!

Interested to see what others have thought on this change in workflow, as its very clear from Vlado's note in the help document that its not his preferred method for using Vray.

Mark

Comment

• I guess the only thing to be aware of is that reflection AND refraction subdivs by default are at 8 for vraymtls so having the 'divide shading subdivs' off can be dangerous if you haven't checked those two numbers throughout your scene (and for new materials for that matter.)

Comment

• Grant,

I'm a big believer of spreading knowledge and helping fellow artists navigate their way through the clusterfuck that CG can be. It's why I started writing my tutorials, sharing my personal findings on these forums, and freely giving away my work to anyone interested in learning. It's the least I can do given the amount of information others have shared with me over the years. It's something I take pride in.

With that in mind, I'm a bit disappointed to hear you say in your latest video that you developed the divide shading subdivs workflow, and that you are responsible for the option being added in V-Ray 3.

Here's the thread where this option was proposed for the samplers, and where vlado actually added the option:
                  (And before that, Vlado and I debated it in the Understanding DMC Sampler thread)
                  http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...more-intuitive

And here's the thread where the 'full control' workflow is proposed as well:
                  http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...ampling-Theory

Not trying to be a dick, I know this is small stuff - but stuff like this is certainly a community effort. Your knowledge of V-Ray materials is undoubtedly great - it's why I subscribed. But frequent acknowledgement of the V-Ray community, or simply linking people to the discussions is always good practice. Hope that makes sense isn't taken the wrong way.
                  Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
                  Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
                  V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

• Kudos to Akin for getting that option into Vray 3. Thanks a lot!
                    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

• Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
                      I guess the only thing to be aware of is that reflection AND refraction subdivs by default are at 8 for vraymtls so having the 'divide shading subdivs' off can be dangerous if you haven't checked those two numbers throughout your scene (and for new materials for that matter.)
                      Yes of course, its very dangerous. We simply use the VMC script to push every subdiv to 2 or 4, or in fact 8 is mainly still not high enough, so even leaving at 8 is fine, just not as good for test renders.

I would love to know from Chaos if there is a text file somewhere that you can change the default starting subdivs, and for that matter how to turn off the fresnel tick box?!

Thanks,
                      Mark

Comment

• Akin, I do believe that it was Lele who was pushing for the option during the closed beta for VRay 3.0.
                        Chris Jackson
                        Shiftmedia
                        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

• Originally posted by voltron7 View Post
                          Hope these are not mentioned yet...
                          Old metal as seen in these pictures...
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]18711[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]18712[/ATTACH]
                          Sooo Grant, has this thread totally changed to a rendering theory thread?

If so, maybe there is a better place to post material ideas?
                          Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by jacksc02 View Post
                            Akin, I do believe that it was Lele who was pushing for the option during the closed beta for VRay 3.0.

I have no doubt others had their hand in it as well, which is why I said that things like this are certainly a community effort - and why claiming responsibility of it to paying users doesn't sit right with me.
                            Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
                            Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
                            V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

• Originally posted by m_hinks View Post
                              I would love to know from Chaos if there is a text file somewhere that you can change the default starting subdivs, and for that matter how to turn off the fresnel tick box?!

Thanks,
                              Mark
                              Unfortunately not, it's something that's been talked about but it's also something that's partially dealt with by using the maxstart.max file with a few minutes tweaking things to your liking.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockinAkin View Post
                                Grant,

I'm a big believer of spreading knowledge and helping fellow artists navigate their way through the clusterfuck that CG can be. It's why I started writing my tutorials, sharing my personal findings on these forums, and freely giving away my work to anyone interested in learning. It's the least I can do given the amount of information others have shared with me over the years. It's something I take pride in.

With that in mind, I'm a bit disappointed to hear you say in your latest video that you developed the divide shading subdivs workflow, and that you are responsible for the option being added in V-Ray 3.

Here's the thread where this option was proposed for the samplers, and where vlado actually added the option:
                                (And before that, Vlado and I debated it in the Understanding DMC Sampler thread)
                                http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...more-intuitive

And here's the thread where the 'full control' workflow is proposed as well:
                                http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...ampling-Theory

Not trying to be a dick, I know this is small stuff - but stuff like this is certainly a community effort. Your knowledge of V-Ray materials is undoubtedly great - it's why I subscribed. But frequent acknowledgement of the V-Ray community, or simply linking people to the discussions is always good practice. Hope that makes sense isn't taken the wrong way.
                                Hey mate,
                                In no way shape or form was I trying to "take" anything from anybody. Like you said, it was a small thing and sometimes in the heat of recording a video you don't think of everything.
                                Of course V-Ray 3.0 as a whole was a huge community effort and I'm really greatful for that, I've given credit where credit is due the entire course so please consider this a misunderstanding as I'm very aware of the huge effort you yourself
                                have put towards the V-Ray development which in all honesty is a lot more than me but with that being said, well before I had seen anything from you regarding the beta, my own personal testing caught this core "issue" with V-ray and I brought it up also.
                                so once again, not taking anything from you, consider this an apology, I'm not a scumbag and I do thank you for heavily pushing development.
                                admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                                Mastering CGI
                                CGSociety Folio
                                CREAM Studios
                                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X