Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great work on the new video, Grant. A really good watch. It's getting me excited to start my next personal project

One question: Why do you set your map filtering to pyramidal and .01 instead of just setting the filtering type to none?

Thanks again!
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

• Really enjoying the vids Grant. Very useful ! I did send an email but I realise you are very busy. I will re-iterate for the forum. I was wondering if you will be going over optimisations for GI and also processes for animations and animations with moving objects ? I'd also be very interested in best use of render elements in a commercial environment to achieve more realistic results.

One last thing. Can you try doing a memory foam shader ? LINK (google search)
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

• Downloaded the Video and its great, but wanted to download the scene files today and the box is expired...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sliver_Creations View Post
          Downloaded the Video and its great, but wanted to download the scene files today and the box is expired...
          Hey mate!
          What is the issue you are having in more detail?

I'm currently not experiencing any other complaints about an expired link however I have had people with different internet settings have some problems accessing the folder.
          admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
          Mastering CGI
          CGSociety Folio
          CREAM Studios
          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
            Hey mate!
            What is the issue you are having in more detail?

I'm currently not experiencing any other complaints about an expired link however I have had people with different internet settings have some problems accessing the folder.
            ah well it appeard to be my PC. When I clicked on the subscribers button I did not see the links but got a box website. Tested it in Chrome instead of Firefox and it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sliver_Creations View Post
              ah well it appeard to be my PC. When I clicked on the subscribers button I did not see the links but got a box website. Tested it in Chrome instead of Firefox and it works.
              Glad it's sorted!

In future, send me an email directly or post to the grantwarwick.net forum with any issues as I don't get notified here! Cheers!

----------------------
              Mastering CGI
              CGSociety Folio
              CREAM Studios
              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Just watched the new vid. Again, great stuff! Was waiting all day for it to appear for download :P
                James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

• Subscribed Friday and have been binge watching the videos. Learned so much already, they're fantastic. Really enjoyed the latest one on the Ironman texture!

Am I right in thinking if VRay incorporates a more advanced BRDF and you layered your dust\dirt using the method shown in the last video you could do away with vrayblend for a lot more textures? If so I wonder how the tradeoff would be for rendertimes (ggx vs vrayblend).

Great stuff!

Comment

• GGX will be great for quickly blasting shaders together but what Vlado REALLY needs to do is implement the Reflection system from the 3.0 Skin shader into the standard V-Ray material.

That way we can ad as many reflection layers as we want!

----------------------
                    Mastering CGI
                    CGSociety Folio
                    CREAM Studios
                    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                      GGX will be great for quickly blasting shaders together but what Vlado REALLY needs to do is implement the Reflection system from the 3.0 Skin shader into the standard V-Ray material.

That way we can ad as many reflection layers as we want!
                      Interesting. This is probably a short-sighted suggestion on my part, but if its already implemented in VRaySkin, couldn't one set Max SSS to 0, set Diffuse Amount to 1 and go from there like its a normal VRayMaterial? It doesn't have the BRDF rollout but that's taken care of with the Reflection 1 and 2 I'd think, and then it seems to have most of the functionality (Ref Glossy maps etc) of most materials? Maybe there's something in the coding that would slow it down or something I'm forgetting, I'm not super familiar with skin shaders (I do mostly arch viz).

Cheers,

Dan

Comment

• Grant,

I saw a really great tupperware material you'd produced in this thread (also looked a bit like silicone), is that something you can share with us subscribers ?

I'm after a really great silicone/rubber-looking material.

That tupperware would work for me.

Kindest regards,

Jez
                        Jez

------------------------------------
                        3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
                        Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
                        ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

• edit
                          found what i was after
                          Last edited by squintnic; 13-03-2014, 03:38 AM. Reason: found it

Comment

• Hi Grant. Did you say you were going to tackle leather at some stage ? I'm working on a project at the moment that could do with some good looking leather so just wondered if you had that kind of material finished yet ?
                            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

• +1 for that leather.
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Arch Pedro A. Solano
                              "Save the irradiance map, save the render"
                              Vray 3.10.03|3DMax 2011 x64|Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.4GHz|16GB Ram|Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
                              Follow us on facebook
                              Visit us on PSolano

Comment

• Originally posted by oligophant View Post
                                +1 for that leather.
                                Leather is coming not in the next video, but the following!

I'm ALMOST out of my job now. (For those that don't know I resigned 2 weeks ago to take this full time!)

Once I'm out of my job I'll have SO much more time to work on everything Mastering-Vray

Cheers guys, i've taken a couple of weeks rest as I was working psycho hours to get everything done/
                                Theres over 400 subscribers now and my brother is helping me out full time

----------------------
                                Mastering CGI
                                CGSociety Folio
                                CREAM Studios
                                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X