Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

Here are the side-by-side renders of Blinn and GGX. First two rendered with a glossy of .8. Render times almost identical.

As you can see the GGX appears softer so I've been upping the glossiness by about .05-.1 to get it back towards where the Blinn/Ward was looking. The third image is the GGX BRDF rendered with a glossiness of .9 for example.

I think the edges of object with the GGX shader looks hawt. Also I reckon the GGX shader at .8 looks so much more like plastic than I've ever come up with with Blinn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blinn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	852040Click image for larger version

Name:	ggx.jpg
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	852041Click image for larger version

Name:	ggx9.jpg
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	852042Click image for larger version

Name:	ward.jpg
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	852043

Edit: added ward @ .8 for comparison.
    Last edited by Pixelcon; 21-05-2014, 08:34 AM.
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

• James....
      I downloaded the 5-21 Nightly - because I wanted to try the GGX. Where is it? I don't see it under BRDF.

Comment

• Really? Vray 3 nightly, right?
        James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
        Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

• Messing with GGX - it's a very nice alternative! More general\believable diffusion around the center highlight which I guess is the idea.

Is ggx pretty much going to be more physically accurate than blinn\ward for most mats? Also, I wonder if there any good way to adjust the ratio between size of glossy highlights vs diffuse highlights like there is using Grant's vrayblend\falloff workflow?

Comment

• Danio
            What you are looking for, and what I have asked for from vlado is something more like the ABC shader from Shlyaev.
            http://www.shlyaev.com/rnd/37-cpp-category/55-abcvray
            Gavin Jeoffreys
            Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

• Gavin-

I hadnt seen that paper, nice results as well. Its also nice that hes matching the Merl data.

-Michael

Originally posted by Raven View Post
              Danio
              What you are looking for, and what I have asked for from vlado is something more like the ABC shader from Shlyaev.

Comment

• Thanks for releasing the taster videos Grant, very interesting!

I know it's not important but I really can't get over the fact that you don't use the Slate editor for your materials. Seeing you copy and paste instances of maps into slots made my eye twitch!

I get that people don't like it but having seen the way you work I can't help but think it would compliment your methods perfectly.
                MDI Digital
                moonjam

Comment

• Originally posted by Raven View Post
                  Danio
                  Yeah! That's exactly it. That would be incredibly useful for matching materials via reference images where you see those type of specific dual highlights.

Comment

• I bet he doesn't use the Slate Editor (or click the Navigator button) because things could be even more confusing with all those "Dup" channels that appear whenever using the VRayBlendMtl. Not sure what those are about.
                    - Geoff

Comment

• They had to add them in to allow maxscript access to the blend material, not sure if it's a 3dsmax issue or a vray issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by AJ Jefferies View Post
                        I know it's not important but I really can't get over the fact that you don't use the Slate editor for your materials. Seeing you copy and paste instances of maps into slots made my eye twitch!
                        I know I'd use slate if they added grouping. Since they haven't, the slate medit adds way too much visual confusion to be useful IMO.

- Neil

Comment

• Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                          They had to add them in to allow maxscript access to the blend material, not sure if it's a 3dsmax issue or a vray issue.
                          I had wondered about the dupe materials. Is this something Vlado hopes to eventually fix? It's a real pain from an organizational perspective.

- Neil

Comment

• Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
                            I know I'd use slate if they added grouping
                            Do you mean collapsing maps/mats into one visual item which you can then expand? If so, then I admit that would be lovely. I find myself minimising complex mats to just the preview a lot, also using multiple tab views to keep things organised.

I am completely enamoured with it though, the ability to visually represent and edit the chain of maps/mats hugely outweighs any visual complexity and the archaic hopping up and down in the old medit for me.
                            MDI Digital
                            moonjam

Comment

• Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
                              I had wondered about the dupe materials. Is this something Vlado hopes to eventually fix? It's a real pain from an organizational perspective.

- Neil
                              I can't remember if it's a max based issue or something to do with vray s9o I don't know on who's end it needs to be fixed unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by AJ Jefferies View Post
                                Do you mean collapsing maps/mats into one visual item which you can then expand? If so, then I admit that would be lovely.
                                Yup, that's what I'm talking about. My materials have so many nodes that I actually find it faster to use the old editor. But I'll move over when we finally have grouping.

- Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X