Thick Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
    yes, please. I would love ti check out the material, because mine is not working.
    see edited post above, I added the mat file. It is from max2013.

Comment

great! I have some work to do on the scene tonight, so I'll check it out
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Hope it helps.

Comment

It did! I'll have to break the material down because it's doing what it's supposed to do. Mine, was affecting the entire glass area, and yours is affecting just the edges.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

It did! I'll have to break the material down because it's doing what it's supposed to do. Mine, was affecting the entire glass area, and yours is affecting just the edges.
            I don't follow? I thought you were looking to get green edges, no? Anyway, interested to see your results...

Comment

Yes. I want green edges, and that is exactly what I am now getting. My setup wasn't giving me the desired results, but yours is.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

oh, I see, sorry I mis-read your last post...glad it has helped some

Comment

To me the correct way to do it is with two materials, one for the panels with a subtle green tint an another one for the Edges. The edges are sanded so it has a frosted glass finish in most of the cases.... Specially for glass walls and doors
                  show me the money!!

Comment

That's how was going to handle it, but I didn't think it would be physically correct.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

The adges are rounded or chamfered .... You could do it the other way but the edges have different texture than the panel.... Depending how picky you are, one material with fog would be enough
                      Last edited by flino2004; 13-06-2013, 11:05 AM.
                      show me the money!!

Comment

I do agree with flino2004 in some cases, but I like to make only one material and one object, when I have the chance.
                        But I probably have chosen the separate edges way, plenty of times over the years...As others have said, both seem fine most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by flino2004 View Post
                          To me the correct way to do it is with two materials, one for the panels with a subtle green tint an another one for the Edges. The edges are sanded so it has a frosted glass finish in most of the cases.... Specially for glass walls and doors
                          Perhaps, but the only difference would be the glossiness/bump. The underlying material would be the same, i.e. the fog colour, reflection & refraction colour, etc.
                          Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

That's how was going to handle it, but I didn't think it would be physically correct.
                            Just a tip.
                            People really need to get away from that "physically correct" phrase. Yours and everyone else scene is never.. absolutely never
                            physically correct unless you brdf measure each and every material in your scene. We create images and not physical simulations.
                            The result and nothing else counts for your customer. If you´re trying to make everything physically correct than you´ll make yourself
                            a lot of headaches that are completely unneccessary when a non-physical solution would be so easy. In this specific case there are a lot of
                            possibilities to get to the desired result. You even had a perfect solution but didn´t want to do it because you fear it would not be physically correct.
                            Really if you want to make your 3D Life a lot easier.. get that out of your head

Comment

Originally posted by samuel_bubat View Post
                              Just a tip.
                              People really need to get away from that "physically correct" phrase. Yours and everyone else scene is never.. absolutely never
                              physically correct unless you brdf measure each and every material in your scene. We create images and not physical simulations.
                              The result and nothing else counts for your customer. If you´re trying to make everything physically correct than you´ll make yourself
                              a lot of headaches that are completely unneccessary when a non-physical solution would be so easy. In this specific case there are a lot of
                              possibilities to get to the desired result. You even had a perfect solution but didn´t want to do it because you fear it would not be physically correct.
                              Really if you want to make your 3D Life a lot easier.. get that out of your head
                              amen to that! Plus there are so many ways/options glass manufactures offer for the edges...not sure there even is one single "typical" treatment, would depend on what you wanted to show or what the client/cut sheet specified.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel_bubat View Post
                                Just a tip.
                                I agree with a fair bit of what you've said - but in the defence of being physically accurate I find it pays dividends to be as close as possible in the long run, provided that you aren't wasting inordinate amounts of time in doing so. The render engine is based on physics, so by its very nature it works best when provided with realistic parameters, I find.
                                Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X