No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Beta Open!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might be a stupid question, but please define "a render node".

Comment

A machine, so it's not per cpu or per core, so you can have a lot of processors in one machine but it'll only take up a single license. With machines that have a lot of cores though (16 upwards maybe?) there's other vray versions that can make better use of them.

Comment

Just wondered does it support MultiScatter? Crashes max for me http://rendering.ru/ru_en/plugins/multiscatter.html
        Simon Askham - http://www.supercreative3d.com Rendering with Threadripper 2990WX Asus Prime X399 36GB DDR4

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          A machine, so it's not per cpu or per core, so you can have a lot of processors in one machine but it'll only take up a single license. With machines that have a lot of cores though (16 upwards maybe?) there's other vray versions that can make better use of them.
          what do you mean by those other vray versions John? you got me lost there. Weve got plenty of machines here that have 24 cores....its always takes 1 licence.
          Martin
          http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

just summing up if i understand things properly...

when i receive the updated dongle info and install the vray 3.0 alongside the 2.4, it will work and all my nodes shoudl be workging properly with it even if i leave 2.4 vray on them (provided i tend to use vray 3 beta only on my workstation)
            can someone confirm this please???

tHANKS!
            Martin

Comment

Yeah you're quite right Martin, one physical machine = 1 license. What Vlado has said though is for machines with more and more cores, there's different builds of vray that can use the cores more efficiently. It might be some of the amd machines where you've got 4 cpus with lots of cores as an example.

Comment

ah...i remember that post...its very likely concerning those AMDs only
                Martin

Comment

@PIXELBOX_SRO
                  On Page 2 vlado said:
                  Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  The new license server is fully backward compatible with previous V-Ray versions and will work fine. But on the other hand, if you feel uncomfortable, maybe it's better to wait for a few days to see if anything comes up.
                  So I guess you should be good to go.
                  Cheers,
                  Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

man this really sucks!
                    we still have a decent amount of older renderslaves, which are still good if you have smaller, less memory consuming jobs to render.
                    now, it doesnt make sense to use them anymore with vray3, because spending extra money for the render-lic doesnt make sense on those older machines.

not sure if this was a smart move chaos group....
                    Also, I think the amount of render-lics that comes with the main vray lic is way too low. 1 is nothing. why not 10 (like the DR was) or at least 5 lics like you get with maxwell...

I like the idea of the unified model for the slaves to be used from max, maya, etc. But whats with the user version of vray? Does my vray for max grant me to use vray in maya too with vray3.0 ?
                    MBA Studios | 3D Images & Visual Effects

Comment

Oh Well....Vray 3.0 is around 50% faster at rendering than Vray 2.4 - So i guess we don't need those unlimited render nodes anymore....
                      Michael Wentworth-Bell
                      Motion Graphics Artist
                      Melbourne, Australia

My site - Digital Lode

Comment

Originally posted by michaelwbell View Post
                        Oh Well....Vray 3.0 is around 50% faster at rendering than Vray 2.4 - So i guess we don't need those unlimited render nodes anymore....
                        LOL, are you telling me your rendering times really went down in the past years?
                        when i look at my work, each year a frames takes the same or longer to render, even after i updated to a much faster machine, because the moment you have more power, you add more stuff to the scene .. will be the same with vray3 if it is really 50% faster....
                        MBA Studios | 3D Images & Visual Effects

Comment

Originally posted by Markus View Post
                          LOL, are you telling me your rendering times really went down in the past years?
                          when i look at my work, each year a frames takes the same or longer to render, even after i updated to a much faster machine, because the moment you have more power, you add more stuff to the scene .. will be the same with vray3 if it is really 50% faster....
                          BRUTE FORCE and partially hair is faster...rest stay the same...
                          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I can't find a WBC file to upload! In fact, my dongle doesn't show up where I can see the contents. About all I can get is the License ID number when I hit it with a browser. Please advise. Thanks.

EDIT
                            Nevermind - Solved!!!
                            David Anderson
                            www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
                            Windows 10 Pro
                            3ds Max 2023.3 Update
                            V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
                            Puget Systems
                            TRX40 EATX
                            AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
                            2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
                            128GB RAM

Comment

Yep, it's very quick, the cost of the ui license has dropped and when you upgrade from 2.x up to 3 you can get really good pricing on render nodes, they end up at 40 euro each if you buy 11 nodes at the same time. It's a bit more than you're used to paying but it's still pretty cheap compared to all the other renderer's pricing

Comment

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but are all the render nodes universal (max/maya/softimage) with 3.0? That would be huge for mixed use studios.
                                -Gabe Askew

Comment

Working...
                                X