Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDRI refl;ection maps are causing pixelated renderings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDRI refl;ection maps are causing pixelated renderings?

Hello and thanks for your time,
    I seem to have found some previous posts concering this issue.

I just wanted to know if there was a patch or a work around for this error?

I tired the script for Max Listener for all my lights in the scene and it still does not work.

any solutions?

D

Can you show me?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

are you talking about the reflections of HDRI light or overall pixelation?
      If you have applied the script to fix the dome lights reflections and still see the reflections pixelation, then your HDRI source file is probably too small.
      M
      Martin
      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

thanks for the reply!
        Not easily unfortunately

I can discribe it more: Basically I have a silver object with some regions on it that are "frosted". Frosted is a roughed up, scratched up, or noisy version of the metal but the detail size is really small so it looks uniform and so it breaks up the reflection of the silver.
        When this is all applied onto my object and rendered, without any reflection map, it looks really good. but when I use an vrayHDRI map in the environment slot (which is desired) it pixelates the frosting effect- it looks noisier, aliased, or undersampled.

My render settings are typical for high quality renders: Michell@ 1/8 only w DMC, Exponential, GI on with Irradecence and Light cash on, DMC threshold 0.005, noise 0.01

This did not occur when I was using a trial version fo 3dsmax 2013 with a trial version of VRAY (latest version). But now on a purchased version of 2014 and VRAY Adv and latest version, it occurs

Comment

Your settings are not typical for high quality renderings unfortunately.

Please upload your scene, or a stripped down version of it and I will fix the settings for you.
          admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
          Mastering CGI
          CGSociety Folio
          CREAM Studios
          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

ok, great I can easily change the settings but the pixelation still occurs... even with optimized settings, and higher resolution hdri maps. BUT it only occurs when I apply the frosted looking materials, not on the silver material alone.

Comment

Can you send us simple scene for investigation ?
              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

You aren't changing the settings correctly man.
                Unfortunately, some scenes require tight optimization and I can't describe any useful advice without seeing a render or sample scene....
                admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
                Mastering CGI
                CGSociety Folio
                CREAM Studios
                Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Attached is a scene and some jpegs showing the situation. In image 1, the frosting checker pattern on the silver ball is correct, but there is no HDRI map used. When I add an HDRI map in the environment slot in 3dsmax, the frosting texture becomes grainy looking and aliased. It looks worse even close up. More rendering sampling wont fix this.
                  Please check out the scene and let me know what I missed.
                  thanks, K

PS how do you attach a 3dsmax 2014 file?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Oh, that. Increase the segments of the sphere and it will go away.

You can attach a .max file by making it into a .zip first.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

hmmm...kind of dont understand your reply here Vlado, sorry
                      Since when upping the segments changes the quality of sampling? Or did you mean something else i have missed?
                      Martin
                      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Well, through RDP it seemed like there was faceting like you sometimes get with glossy reflections. But I see now that it doesn't look like that. In which case I guess it's just a matter of increasing subdivs for the glossy reflections in the material. Or using a dome light.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by Kinetic99 View Post

PS how do you attach a 3dsmax 2014 file?
                          Max files are not allowed to be attached directly - you have to first ZIP-it and then use Attachments button in order to upload the ZIP file.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	850018Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	850017Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	850016

Name:	8.JPG
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	850015

Name:	9.JPG
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	850014
                          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                            Oh, that. Increase the segments of the sphere and it will go away.

You can attach a .max file by making it into a .zip first.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

thanks for the reply Vlado. but thats not the issue. It will occur on a sphere, cube, pyramid, any shape with any supbdivisions, including imported meshes. I will upload the max file..

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                              hmmm...kind of dont understand your reply here Vlado, sorry
                              Since when upping the segments changes the quality of sampling? Or did you mean something else i have missed?
                              yes, that too..

Comment

Working...
                              X