Material Override Exlusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Override Exlusion

Is there a way to exclude objects when using a material override? I love the override, but when I use a Revit model it's nice to sample materials, and change the material one-by-one. I systematically do this, and test render each time. I would like to exclude the objects that I am working on.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

There's an exclude button right next to the material override button. Doesn't it work for you?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

The Override Exclude button will exclude the objects, one thing what you can do, is write a script that will update the list before rendering excluding those objects who share the current material. Is this what the question was about? excluding by material?

Comment

I see the Glossy effects "Override Exclude...".
        Originally posted by vlado View Post
        There's an exclude button right next to the material override button. Doesn't it work for you?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Yep, maybe bad positioning but that's the one - functionality wise it's for excluding specific objects from being affected by the material overrides, the glossy effects is a master on / off switch as you'd think.

Comment

got it, thanks!
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

How long has that option been there? And how did I never see it before! I've been in the same boat being oblivious to being able to exclude from the override material.
              Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
                How long has that option been there?
                Since V-Ray 1.5 was released sometime in 2007.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I think the name of it is confusing. But, I now know where it is.
                  Originally posted by cheerioboy View Post
                  How long has that option been there? And how did I never see it before! I've been in the same boat being oblivious to being able to exclude from the override material.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

*facepalm*

well good to know it's there
                    Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

It's confusingly placed, yes.

What I wish for is if this override exclude will somehow be able to read objects through xrefs, so you don't have to merge those xrefs in first.
                      Alex York
                      Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
                      www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by alexyork View Post
                        It's confusingly placed, yes.

What I wish for is if this override exclude will somehow be able to read objects through xrefs, so you don't have to merge those xrefs in first.
                        Exactly, it's my main concern as well, it's so enoying that xref don't allow to manage the same way as if it's in the scene...
                        To render mask as well it doesn't work, for matte object it doesn't work either, visible layer from the xref are used in stead of the visible layer from the master when rendering...
                        XRef are great, but the support of features are really lacking.

I guess it's all on Autodesk side and not on Vray's side though...

It's just a pity that they introduced the containers and stopped implementing XRef, now the xref and not completely finished and polished IMO and containers are worst than everything to work with...
                        Another smart move from Autodesk I suppose...

Stan
                        3LP Team

Comment

Unfortunately this is how 3DSMax handle references - and we can't do anything about it.
                          I usually prefer to attach scenes via Xref-Objects utility in that case - with that approach I can modify everything in my X-ref scene and it still remains X-ref scene, it works even with override-exclude option.
                          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
                            Unfortunately this is how 3DSMax handle references - and we can't do anything about it.
                            I usually prefer to attach scenes via Xref-Objects utility in that case - with that approach I can modify everything in my X-ref scene and it still remains X-ref scene, it works even with override-exclude option.
                            I've thought about this but never tried it. So in this case you would reference every single object from the file? But if you create new objects in that xref file, you'll need to add them manually to the main scene? Or is there a way to handle this automatically?

I'm also wondering if containers would be a better option here.
                            Alex York
                            Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
                            www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Yes there is a way to update everything automatically:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	ZRDx5sW.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	849956

I don't know if containers are more appropriate in this case - I just say that it is possible to do it that way too.
                              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                              X