X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
    Yes there is a way to update everything automatically:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]15712[/ATTACH]

I don't know if containers are more appropriate in this case - I just say that it is possible to do it that way too.
    Fantastic I will give this a go soon! Many thanks.
    Alex York
    Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
      Yes there is a way to update everything automatically:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]15712[/ATTACH]

I don't know if containers are more appropriate in this case - I just say that it is possible to do it that way too.
      I do not recommend having the automatic update box ticked!
      Maxscript made easy....
      davewortley.wordpress.com
      Follow me here:
      facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

I do not recommend using Xref Objects at all....ever. You are entering a world of pain. Xref object in max does not work like in Maya or Softimage for that matter, where it actually works mostly. The whole feature is so broken even Autodesk don't know how to avoid some of the bugs. This has resulted in me only using Xref-Scene if I need xrefs.
        Working on large projects with multiple artists using Xref Object, I think I'd rather go sit down on a buttplug.

Granted, because of my past woes with this feature, I have not even considered opeing the dialogue window for many years, but I'm pretty sure it is not much better today.

Containers seem to alleviate most of the technical issues that come with Xref Object, but do complicate things by needing to exist as a different format (maxc), and have their own set of rather quirky bugs courtesy of Autodesk. As mentioned above, any auto-update options should be disabled for smooth sailing.
        Last edited by trixian; 23-09-2013, 07:31 AM. Reason: broken english
        Signing out,
        Christian

Comment

XRef Objects are fine if you fully understand the hierachy and how to use the controllers properly, one day I'll write a blog-post about it, still not great for animation but I've used them lots with and without problems, learned a lot the hard way unfortunately! There is one thing Autodesk could do to make XRefObjects better but they're not interested in it.
          Maxscript made easy....
          Follow me here:
          facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

I'd be very interested to read your take on using xref-object in collaborative projects / large projects with lots of ref and assets.
            I have always ended up with the dreaded dependency loop problem, even though there are no visible dependencies that can be fixed. This also used to corrupt you files badly after a while without one noticing and one would find the last 10 saves and autosaves are corrupt and cant open.
            Not sure I ever had any issues with controllers, as I probably never even considered to do xref object on animated characters/rigs etc. since xrefs have burned me so bad earlier.
            Are there any hidden nodes that need to be fixed through scripts for instance? I often have the urge to use xref-materials, but these too give me headaches, and I have learned to live without.
            Signing out,
            Christian

Comment

Yeah I don't like the XRef materials, I've been working on something which is a bit of an alternative... still highly work-in-progress... but I've got a beta version I need to do something with...
              http://screencast.com/t/4o58Z69jK2
              Maxscript made easy....
              Follow me here:
              facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

Comment

That looks nice. Exactly what is needed as far as I can see.
                What are the main obstacles and issues with it at this point?
                Signing out,
                Christian

Comment

Xmat, now thats bloody good! Xref mats do work, and I use them a lot, but this is far better, being able to edit the mat from within, and re-publish the library, very neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_Wortley View Post
                    Yeah I don't like the XRef materials, I've been working on something which is a bit of an alternative... still highly work-in-progress... but I've got a beta version I need to do something with...
                    http://screencast.com/t/4o58Z69jK2
                    Looks excellent! Hope you manage to get it stable and production-ready. Would love to try it out.
                    Alex York
                    Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
                    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by trixian View Post
                      That looks nice. Exactly what is needed as far as I can see.
                      What are the main obstacles and issues with it at this point?
                      Thanks for the comments guys, the main issues at the moment are

a) it's script based (so could be slow with lots of them)
                      b) Doesn't work inside of XRefObjects/XRefScenes yet (works if you've got Deadline and you choose to merge you xrefs pre-render)
                      c) Probably won't work with Containers (I don't like them anyway)
                      d) Not Production tested yet, so probably quite a lot of bugs.
                      e) Quite easy to update a material in one scene and have it affect a lot of others by accident, but this is the nature of it, powerful referencing but could cause massive headaches!

I'll ask if I can release this for free, we're not really using it at the moment and I can see a lot of potential from a bit of outside feedback.
                      Maxscript made easy....
                      Follow me here:
                      facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

Comment

Woaw yeah, I was looking for something like that for ages, you just got it right

I would love to get my hand on that one, but you're right, XRefScenes are really important

Stan
                        3LP Team

Comment

Working...
                        X