Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easiest way to share a licence over 2 locations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest way to share a licence over 2 locations?

Hi,

I'm looking for an easy way to share a vray licence over 2 locations, as I plan to work from an office and from home.

What I want to be able to do is use vray whilst at home, but also have backburner and a rendernode rendering images in the office at the same time.

I'm not very techy when it comes to networking, VPNs, etc, so I'm looking the the easiest / fool proof way to achieve this. I have searched but all it points me to is VPNs or Hamachi, neither of which are things I know about.

By the way it's a shared office and wifi so I can't access the router.

Any suggestions would really appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dean

Hamachi is easy!

You download and install it on both computers you want to use. Inside of one of the copies you create a network which is just a case of making a name for your network and a password, hamachi will set up the rest. Then on the second computer you add the same network name and password and hamachi will do the rest.

Comment

I did actually install Hamachi when I was researching, but it screwed up my backburner and server, the server (on the same machine as the manager) couldn't find the manager, and I couldn't work out why, so I uninstalled it just to get some jobs rendering. As I mentioned, networking really isn't my thing, but if you know of a guide I can follow then that would be best for me.

Thanks,
      Dean

Comment

hamachi works fine, even with BB.
        the server and manager need the hamachi ip to work

Comment

You might want hamachi not to mess with ur IP4/IP6 that can mess up BB
          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

OK, I might look again at Hamachi, but I don't understand the IPs changing, and how to stop Hamachi from messing with the IPs. Sorry, this tread is already above my knowledge of networking!!

To be honest I don't really understand how Hamachi works, and how to use it. Has any one written an article on setting up Hamachi to work with Vray?

Thanks,
            Dean

Comment

We use hamachi to share licenses of rhino & fusion between NYC, miami & london with no issues.

You should probably have your backburner manager on a separate machine though. It's worth using an old box just as a backburner manager, license server etc. then install hamachi on it so you can connect to it from anywhere.

Comment

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread but I have been wondering how to do this too...

Does anyone know if you can use Hamatchi to connect to the office when it's is protected with a physical firewall? The offices are also all connected to a private domain. I don't really know much about networking either but I have all the admin rights and passwords.

Or would I need to convince the powers that be to call in an engineer to open ports on the firewall?

Thanks Greg
                Greg

Comment

We had problems with Hamachi connecting to our office due to heavy incoming/outgoing filtering in the Firewall. I setup a VPN in the firewall and it's pretty easy to setup on other devices once the initial setup is complete. I can also use my portable devices to remote in and check on the renderfarm and in some cases, resend a render that went bad.

I would check with your IT person to make sure they allow that traffic through the firewall.
                  Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                  Midwest Studios

Comment

Thanks Troy,

That is exactly the sort of access I need and could save a lot of time and last minute panic. Unfortunately I don't they do not allow connection through the firewall from outwith the domain and out in house IT guy dose not know how to configure the firewall to allow it. It's all a bit beyond me (and him for that matter). I am just going to install hamatchi and give it a try.... I have it connecting on 2 PC's within the domain. I will try from home tonight.

How do you go about specifiying the location of the license dongle? just with the IP address of the host PC? (even though it's on a private network)
                    Greg

Comment

Where are you located - uk ?

As to IP Hamashi will give you a new IP. Use that new IP

Comment

Thanks DADAL for the IP info.

Yes im in the UK - I am in Edinburgh up in bonnie Scotland. Yourself?
                        Greg

Comment

Any decent IT guy should be able to figure out a simple VPN setup on a Firewall, unless we are talking about an ancient firewall with minimal interface. With my VERY limited knowledge, I was able to get ours setup with the help of our IT contractor and get everything setup and running in about 10 minutes. We even added a couple of additional security requirements, just to be on the safe side.

In your case, I hope that you can get Hamachi up and running. I am going to take another look at it to see where we were having issues. Maybe that can help out some.
                          Troy Buckley | Technical Art Director
                          Midwest Studios

Comment

Originally posted by grasshopper View Post
                            in house IT guy dose not know how to configure the firewall to allow it.
                            Whatever you're paying him is far too much

Comment

Originally posted by grasshopper View Post
                              Thanks DADAL for the IP info.

Yes im in the UK - I am in Edinburgh up in bonnie Scotland. Yourself?
                              Ure out of my reach I'm in portsmouth, South sea

Comment

Working...
                              X