No announcement yet.

V-Ray CPU Core Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is there a solution. I'm planning to upgrade with more CPU core, but if it can't handle more than 28, then it is a waste of money.
    thanks.

Comment

I've no idea what is the problem; we have a 48 core machine here that runs fine on all cores with Windows Server 2008. Did you manage to get any program to use all the cores?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I am still looking into the issue. Having gotten to test any other software that could use all 48 cores.

Comment

any plugins in use? if we have multiscatter in a scene then at some point it's going to randomly limit us to a couple of cores.

Comment

Just a quick question. What single machine have you got that has 48 cores ? Is it a dual xeon ?
            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

I'm curious too. I'm in the midst of planning for a new workstation and trying to decide whether it is better to go for many cores and stay with RT CPU, or spend the money on a Titan Black and focus on RT GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicinus View Post
                I'm curious too. I'm in the midst of planning for a new workstation and trying to decide whether it is better to go for many cores and stay with RT CPU, or spend the money on a Titan Black and focus on RT GPU.
                Atm given that the RT CPU is an actual full feature(or mostly all feature) production render its better to stick to CPU RT as its better than GPU in quite few cases if you want to render complex stuff... GPU got lots of catching up.
                CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

I also assume that the memory restrictions one have in loading the memory buffer on a GPU doesn't exist if staying with RT CPU, right? What are the remaining features that haven't been implemented in RT CPU yet?

I'm starting to wonder if a Titan Black is worth it at this point in RT GPU development, especially since putting the money on CPU cores has other so many other benefits, not the least general rendering. I remember the GPU card comparison chart, is there anything similar for RT CPU, and which processors and combinations gives the best bang for the buck? I've used both quad opterons and now lately a dual xenon on skulltrail but I don't think the investments really have paid off. I am a big fan of using a single system though, as opposed to render slaves, especially now with the new pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicinus View Post
                    I also assume that the memory restrictions one have in loading the memory buffer on a GPU doesn't exist if staying with RT CPU, right? What are the remaining features that haven't been implemented in RT CPU yet?

I'm starting to wonder if a Titan Black is worth it at this point in RT GPU development, especially since putting the money on CPU cores has other so many other benefits, not the least general rendering. I remember the GPU card comparison chart, is there anything similar for RT CPU, and which processors and combinations gives the best bang for the buck? I've used both quad opterons and now lately a dual xenon on skulltrail but I don't think the investments really have paid off. I am a big fan of using a single system though, as opposed to render slaves, especially now with the new pricing.
                    There is no memory restriction on CPU mode, it acts just like production cpu render. In vray 3.0!

Its hard to say if u should go cpu or gpu. It depends if GPU over all the tools you need for work or if it lacks some features or memory. U have to run tests and see if you can move ur production to GPU. If you cant then its better to stick with CPU and many render slaves.

You can always buy one of those monster cpu boxes with 24 cores/48 threads... 1-2 of those will give u quite lots of power. Then again you wont use RT for final render, just preview so uh....
                    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Working...
                    X