Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR Network Stability?

Hey guys --

I've got an issue where I let vray go all weekend on a rendering (3200x1800 pixels) and came in today to find it stalled roughly two-thirds through. We had five dual machines working on it, and when it stalled the buckets were in all different parts of the render -- so it wasn't a specific object or material that did it.

My coworkers say that they've had that happen before and they've only gotten around it by reducing the pixel size of the render. Just thought I'd ask if there were any known issues that might cause this out there -- otherwise it must have been a hiccup in our own network that caused it, which I'll have to look into.

Thanks eveyone.

Shaun
    ShaunDon

DR is a mostly not working feature in V-ray (thats what i have found).

There are too many problems and pits you can trap into.

Lets hope that they will make a production ready DR function for V-ray 1.5.

We have waited long enough.

But it seems to be a very difficult problem to code a stable and working distributed rendering engine.
    Banshee (the DR engine from Brazil) is overdue for 5 months now and still no sign or release date.

Comment

I have had similar problems on large images even without DR and they went away after deactivating hyperthreading on my machine. I recommend doing so urgently if it's switched on on one of the machines.

Comment

Hi all !

I've just started an animation on 2 computers to see that DR doesn't
        work on Max 5 too...

Here is not a problem of image size, it is very small (400*170),
        I made a test in 640 480 with the same result.
        Moreover, the wrong image is calculated on the master computer.The
        slave works correctlt !!!!!

The problem here is due to Vray Material... Yes.It is badly calculated if
        it has an image to render over an object.I thought it was a problem of
        directory but no.
        In fact, with a standard max material, there is no problem...

I'm going to search if some other people have had that problem

Bye !
        Gaël

Comment

i dont get it. if you have a dual machine. wont turning off hyperthreading mess you up more?

---------------------------------------------------
          MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
          stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Just a note: We have 20 +/- Dual 2.8 Xeons on our farm, they all have Hyper threading "ON" and the all render fine ...
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

Im running a Dual Xeon 2.8 here also with HT on and no issues with Max 4,5 or 6.

Da_Elf: Turning off HT will cause a small performance hit as your only disabling the logical processors. It will still run as Duals with HT off

-dave
              Cheers,
              -dave
              ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Working...
              X