Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change the size a bitmap is rendered at with out changing the size of the source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change the size a bitmap is rendered at with out changing the size of the source?

Hello,

I have a project that started off requiring high res still images for print. Due to the high res final output all of the bit maps used are large files that consume a substantial amount of memory.

The client now wants an animation of the same scene, which will be much lower res. I was curious if any script or setting exists that could automatically convert or limit the resolution of bitmaps in the scene at render time. (without overwriting the high res images, as I would still need them for large stills)

V-Ray RT has a feature to resize textures for GPU rendering. It would be great if this were also possible with the standard production renderer.

Thanks for your help!

Hello,

Is you use 3dsmax, it has a built-in feature. It is called Asset Management (under File menu).
    You can enable the Proxy Bitmap for viewport, that it is mean purpose, but you can use the same "Proxy bitmap" For rendering.
    I use it a lot, When animating or render Pre viz video.

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/E...ber=d30e494020

You HAVE to enable Render with Proxies (High Performance, Low Memory)

Comment

This is exactly what I needed!

Thank you so much!

Comment

There's another method you can use too. In the vray tools, there's a utility called image to multi resolution exr. What it'll do is take any image and make an exr file with the original res image, a half size image, quarter size, eight size and so on. You then load this image using the vray hdri loader instead of the normal 3dsmax bitmap type (use 3dsmax standard as your mapping type) and what vray will do is pick whichever size of the image is appropriate for the amount of pixels it'll be seen at in your final render. It means you'll get less loading times on textures that are either far away or smaller on screen and whatever the top quality is for things that are close up.

Comment

Working...
        X