Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Render Mask by Texture -- can it be animated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render Mask by Texture -- can it be animated?

I did a quick test a few weeks ago where I created a black and white render mask that was animated. Basically a white rectangle on a black background which changed position and size. The idea is basically to do a region render but that is constantly changing to follow the action.

I saved this out of After Effects as sequential PNGs.

When I tried to use these PNGs as a Render Texture and I got a crash. I didn't have time to look around to see if something else was causing the crash, so now I'm asking here.

Is this workflow supported? And if not, will it be in the future?

If I correctly understand what you require, Thinkbox Deadline 6.1+ allows you to render moving regions.
    See this video towards the end (15 min +).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUG2QZiTcNk

I recommend using Deadline generally but this feature is just one of many which make it super useful. I believe it is free for 2 nodes if you want to give it a go.
    Last edited by robdeja; 30-04-2014, 06:32 AM.
    Rob
    Uniform | Somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by davision View Post
      I did a quick test a few weeks ago where I created a black and white render mask that was animated. Basically a white rectangle on a black background which changed position and size. The idea is basically to do a region render but that is constantly changing to follow the action.

I saved this out of After Effects as sequential PNGs.

When I tried to use these PNGs as a Render Texture and I got a crash. I didn't have time to look around to see if something else was causing the crash, so now I'm asking here.

Is this workflow supported? And if not, will it be in the future?
      Hi,

Would it be possible to attach a scene that reproduces this ?
      I made a test with animated PNG (RGB 48bit) texture added to the render mask texture slot and the render goes fine.
      Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks Rob. I've heard Deadline is great, but I'm not really prepared to spend more money on software at the moment.

Tashko -- that's get news that it worked. I don't know what happened to that scene where I tested it.... but the crash must have been caused by something else entirely, and I didn't have time to troubleshoot at the time so I just gave up.

I will try it again, and if I get a crash I'll send the scene.

Comment

Working...
        X