Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 360 animation settings in vray?

Hello and thanks for your time,

I am setting up a simple 360 rotation of a shiny silvery cylinder with an a bump map image mapped on it that has lots of detail, lines, reflections and specularity that will do one full rotation in 60frames or so on a white surface.
    The coin is rotating and not the camera. No light source, just a couple of HDRI maps

I was just wondering, if there are some critical setting I should consider before I take the plunge.

Right now I have I have a render time of 7min/frame which is ideal at these settings:
    1/6 Mitchell in DMS mode. DMS mode adaptive amount: 0.005 and noise threshold: 0.01
    Primary bounces: light cache
    Secondary bounce: Light cache - 1200 SubD, 0.006 sample size

What else would recommend for good quality, no flickering, good render times?

thanks!

I wouldn't recommend a sharpening filter (mitchell) for animation purposes. Just my 2 cents.
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Using Light Cache for both primary and secondary bounce engine is not the best approach to get flicker free animation.
      It it certainly fast but I am not sure if the quality will suit your needs. My recommendation is to run a test animation on a part of the animation in order to find out whether the end result is good enough before proceeding with the final render. If you are not happy with the end result I would recommend to switch primary bounce engine to Irradiance Map or Brute Force.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Can you put up an image of your render?

In terms of it being totally silver, metals have no diffuse as such, they're pretty much only made from reflections so I'd first of all question whether you'd even really need GI if you're looking to get the quickest render times. GI may add some brightness but since light only really falls on the diffuse part of a material is it making much different for you? Second of all depending on what the white surface the coin sits on is, if it's totally featureless like a flat plane then can you really tell a difference if it's the coin rotating around or the camera and light setup rotating around it? If there's no difference then you can look at one of the "use camera path" methods with light cache and irradiance map for your GI and have the light solution calculated once and locked, which will give you no flickering. As Macker says mitchell is a filter that sharpens the image - it's great for bringing out detail in still images but it can cause lots of problems in animation - small details can suffer from the limitations of the resolution of your animation with shimmering and sizzling happening. You're sometimes better off using motion blur to smooth this over which kind of negates the sharpening of mitchell but it'll making animation look smoother and more natural.

Cheers,

John

Comment

Working...
        X