Lightning In A Glass Sphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning In A Glass Sphere

This may have been covered before but I haven’t been able to find any info.

I have created a hollow sphere, with the Shell command. Then I added a renderable spline in the sphere. Now I go to Video Post and setup for Lens Effects Glow on the Object ID channel of the spline. Click on the render button in Video Post. The render window opens and I see it being rendered. When it gets to the point of doing the glow effect I get “An Error Has Occurred and the Application Will Close.”

I assume it is a conflict between VRay and max’s Video Post. I am running max 6 SP1 and VRay Adv. 1.09.03r. Is there any way of doing the old lightning in a bottle trick?

Thanks in advance.

JoeD

Enable the proper g-buffers in the renderer.
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Thanks for that info. I did apply what you said and the error is gone but I still don't see the glow effect in the sphere but the same object outside the sphere does.

Any advice?

JoeD

Comment

does it work in scanline? i thought glows etc didnt work behind transparent objects since the z-buffer doesnt trace through objects.

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Would be easier to do and tweak in post anyway
          Signing out,
          Christian

Comment

yeah that has always been a problem. I remember a plugin awhile back that would allow you to do it. cant recall the name though. It was commercial.

percy

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

It does work in the scanline mode if I use the Material Effects Channel. But in VRay I don’t get a choice of G-Buffer parameters to link to the Material Effects Channel. If there is NO sphere using the Object ID in VP and the Node ID in VRay you do get the glow effect.

Oh well, foiled again by that little girl and her dog.

Thanks for the help.

JoeD

Comment

Not sure if they work with VRay but you can try the "Ce Thru" or "Transparent_ID" Render Effect plugins.
                --Jon

Comment

I took a look for those plugins but I couldn't find them in max 6.

JoeD

Comment

As far as I know, the only way to get an object to glow behind a glass object is by using a raytraced material for the glass. I haven't tried with VRay.

-Matt

Comment

Working...
                    X