Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay movie cam vs still cam - Exposure and Motionblur

Hi all

Is there some kind of formula to match exposure and motion blur of the movie cam to a still cam?

I'm liking the exposure of my still cam, but I'm liking the motionblur of my movie cam

Alternatively on my still cam I can up my F stop and change my shutter to keep exposure and increase motion blur. I always use the still cam even for animation so I'm just experimenting with the movie cam to see if there is ANY benefit. So I guess what I'm really asking is if the motion blur calculations is the same under the hood for these 2 type of cams (forgetting for a moment the exposure)
    Last edited by Morne; 28-07-2014, 05:44 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Yes, motion blur is the same.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      Yes, motion blur is the same.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      So then what formula can I use for my still cam to match the motion blur of the movie cam when shutter angle is 180 degrees?
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

It depends on your frame rate. If you have 24 fps, then 180 degrees shutter is 1/2 of 1/24th of a second, or 1/48th of a second.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

nevermind
          just set shutter speed to 1/48
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            It depends on your frame rate. If you have 24 fps, then 180 degrees shutter is 1/2 of 1/24th of a second, or 1/48th of a second.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            we were typing the same time
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

Compiled a list a while back. They work the same. You can check it yourself, of course. Here are some equivalents:

Physical Cam (movie)
              shutterAngle: 360
              shutterOffset: 0
              Standard Cam
              Duration: 1
              IntCenter: 0.5

Physical Cam (movie)
              shutterAngle: 180
              shutterOffset: 90
              Standard Cam
              Duration: 0.5
              IntCenter: 0.5

Physical Cam (movie)
              shutterOffset: -90
              Standard Cam
              IntCenter: 0

Physical Cam (movie)
              shutterOffset: 180
              Standard Cam
              IntCenter: 1.0
              Reel 2016

Comment

OK I tried couple of frames with the 180 Shutter Angle/Equivalent 1/48 shutter speed for "film" 24 frames/second

At framerate 24, it looks almost asif the blur is a bit too much for the speed my cam is going past some trees. At a framerate of 30 however, this looks awesome.
                (3dsMax framerate is set to film - 24 frames/sec, but I tested playback at 30 frames with my player)

I know its all artistic and I should just adjust things till it looks good. My point is, wasn't 1/48 suppose to work great for a framerate of 24 frames/sec?
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                  I know its all artistic and I should just adjust things till it looks good. My point is, wasn't 1/48 suppose to work great for a framerate of 24 frames/sec?
                  No, 1/48 is just .5 of a frame - that's the biggest you can possibly go with a mechanical film camera.
                  whatever works best is a stylistic choice - If nothing is moving too fast i'd use .5 of a frame, if there's constant fast motion then I prefer to go lower. Most films are shot lower.
                  Saving private ryan famously used really low shutter angles - something like 45degrees (1/200) so there was hardly any motion blur and it's a big part of how it looks the way it does.

watch this -
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn1mpszEjZM
                  Last edited by Neilg; 07-08-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

The point of the exercise was to simulate a cinematic film camera
                    With the "converted" numbers, the motion blur seems too strong
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Working...
                    X