Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substance Painter/Designer to 3dsmax/vray workflow

Hi guys,

As I was intrigued again by the substance painter/designer program, and I saw a deal on Steam recently (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/39945/) that doesn't look that bad. I wonder is this easy to use with Vray in 3dsmax, mainly for architectural visualisation and assets. Also it seems that for now it's only limited to 2K maps, which is really low. But I'm hoping they will provide a better output later. For now I have a few questions, which I googled but didn't really find a clear answer to.

-Does Vray support the substance material maps? And do they work for example with vrayblendmtl.
    -Let's say for example I model a vase in 3dsmax and I import it in Substance Painter and create some nice materials and the likes. How easy is it getting it back into 3dsMax on the object and rendering it with Vray? Does it require baking maps? I can't find any videos on this process, so if somebody knows how the process works, or know of a good video/webpage explaining all this.

Thank you.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Anybody? This deal is gonna be over real soon I think, so I need to get in on the action soon.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

It's worth it purely for the dirt mask generation I think. Painter exports bitmaps for each channel so no issue using it in vray. 4k is coming along on october 15th so you don't have too long to wait.

Comment

You know you can get a trial of it too?

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          You know you can get a trial of it too?
          Hmm I didn't notice that Going to try it out right now. Will post back with feedback.
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

I am also trying to find info on wiring Substance Designer to Vraymtl. There is a lot of info on the web utilizing the Standard Renderer but nothing about using SD with Vray. Anyone have any workflows yet?
            ------------------------------------------------------------
            V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
            -----------------------------------------
            Autodesk Expert Elite Member
            ------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yep - it's pretty much all as is, but the glossiness channel I think needs to be gamma'd in a certain way. I did a quick test and it's matched the painter viewport well enough. I'll have a wee look again today and get something up.

Comment

Working...
              X