Missing my DOF samples.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing my DOF samples.

Very sad to see DOF samples go away. Pumping up my DOF samples while leaving my AA settings relatively low meant that V-Ray was only going to spend more time on parts of the frame that were out of focus. Now, with DOF samples gone I am forced to sample the hell out of my entire frame just to get clean DOF. Am I missing something? Is there a new trick to getting clean DOF without sampling the hell out of my entire frame? Any tips would be appreciated!

Originally posted by smashley View Post
    Very sad to see DOF samples go away. Pumping up my DOF samples while leaving my AA settings relatively low meant that V-Ray was only going to spend more time on parts of the frame that were out of focus.
    This happens now as well. There is generally not much difference in the number of camera rays that V-Ray shot before and now.

There is however another difference related to the sampling of AA filters that causes the results to be somewhat noisier than before. It is not a big difference, but it is there. I expect this to get better with newer releases.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Now, with DOF samples gone I am forced to sample the hell out of my entire frame just to get clean DOF. Am I missing something?
      Thats what you were doing before too. When you switched dof on, it didnt use the AA settings there and the ones in the camera completley took over. now they're in the same place.

Comment

So should I be raising my AA max subdivs and lowering my color threshold to compensate for this? Seems like that is going to slow me down as a whole.

Comment

So should I be raising my AA max subdivs and lowering my color threshold to compensate for this? Seems like that is going to slow me down as a whole.
          Try increasing the max AA subdivs first. If you have issues with the rendertimes, you can send me a scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com to take a look.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
          X