Can you just clamp reflections on a material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you just clamp reflections on a material

Can you clamp the reflections on a material?

The problem I have is I'm trying to optimise my render LC BF.
    Everything is good, samples are all blue in the sample rate pass except reflections on a every small objects.
    I clamped the output in colour mapping and it all render blue in the sample pass. So what is holding up the render are these little reflections rendering red in the sample rate pass, even with 356 sample and a noise threshold of .005. It is killing my render and I can only get pass it by clamping the output which sucks making LWF a waste of time. Pointless rendering 32bit file if you clamp to 8 bit.
    If the only way pass this is to clamp the above 1 sampling can you just clamp the reflections on this material?

Thanks Ralph

That's what the max ray intensity will do in vray 3 - it's in the global switches when it's set to advanced. If you have it turned on and gradually reduce the value, it'll kill the intensity of only reflection values.

Comment

As jconnell points out Max Ray Intensity comes in handy for this. If that will not solve it you can also clamp in the color mapping, but clamp to a value of 3-5. This usually gets rid of the bright highlights issue (the ones that slow the render and can flicker), while still maintaining enough superbright values for most uses. You would do this in conjunction with Sub-Pixel sampling. Yes, this is not as accurate in terms of how the light will bleed out around edges, etc. but is sometimes needed to get sane render times.

Comment

You can also try vlado's reinhard trick. In the colour mapping section, set your colour mapping mode to "colour mapping only (no gamma)" and use the burn value in reinhard to gradually bring down the really hot values. It's handy for things like car headlights. Try burn values about 0.5 or even 0.25. Note that this will in theory make your render not linear anymore so your passes may not recombine perfectly but if you car mainly about speed it could be a solution.

Comment

Working...
        X