rendering a flythrough with RebusFarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rendering a flythrough with RebusFarm

So at work, I have a flythrough (only thing moving is camera and camera target) of 2000 frames. Will be rendering on RebusFarm. Doing some tests at home, each (still) frame takes about an hour to render on my i7 3930k, but that's with irradiance map + light cache being calculated each frame. This will cause flickering though if I render the animation like that, correct? I need to cache IR map and LC?
    Am I correct in understanding that I need to re-generate my IR and LC maps every hundred or so frames?
    The scene is a mix of indoor and outdoor (shopping complex)

A lot of the tutorials on rendering a flythrough are many years old so I'm just wondering, is there a currently preferred method for rendering a flythrough?
    Thanks

I have used Rebus a lot for animation and I keep referring to this -

OBJECT ANIMATION

1. Setup scene to render in terms of antialiasing, samples, output, etc.
    2. Set Irradiance Map to Prepass and LightCache to 'Single Frame'
    3. That's it. Rebusfarm will generate the GI pass and follow it with the final render (you don't need to do anything else)

CAMERA ANIMATION
    1. Setup scene to render in terms of antialiasing, samples, output, etc.
    2. Set Irradiance Map to 'Multiframe Incremental' and LichtCache to 'Flythrough'
    3. Send it to the farm. Rebusfarm will generate the GI pass and follow it with the final render.
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

If I get some spare time I will write up something up formally as things have changed slightly with the new RebusDrop software.
      Chris Jackson
      Shiftmedia
      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

That would be incredibly helpful!

Comment

the way JackSc say is correct - there is no more magic to do

soon we will make it even more simple - you just need to press one button on job submit to set your GI mode
          still - camAnim - FullAnim - useLocalGiMap
          it cant be more simple then imo

Comment

Thanks. So in my case of a flythrough where the camera will be passing through several different buildings/lighting conditions both indoor and outdoor areas in a single motion, Multiframe Incremental for irradiance map mode and Flythrough mode for LC should be fine?

I will send some tests of maybe a second here and there and see what it comes back like

Comment

Originally posted by Richard7666 View Post
              Thanks. So in my case of a flythrough where the camera will be passing through several different buildings/lighting conditions both indoor and outdoor areas in a single motion, Multiframe Incremental for irradiance map mode and Flythrough mode for LC should be fine?
              If the Lighting is not animated MultiFrame Incremental (IM) + Flytrought (LC) should generate flicker free GI solution.

Originally posted by Richard7666 View Post
              Am I correct in understanding that I need to re-generate my IR and LC maps every hundred or so frames?
              A lot of the tutorials on rendering a flythrough are many years old so I'm just wondering, is there a currently preferred method for rendering a flythrough?
              Thanks
              The Nth frame from which IM should be generated depends from the speed of the animation. If the animation is slow moving and the camera view is not changed quickly you could generate 1 IM for each 100 frames but if the animation is quick more IM frames will be needed.
              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

The animation came out flawlessly using multiframe incremental (IRmap) and flythrough (LC). I checked probabilistic lights, set this to 32 (probably needed a bit higher as it was a bit noisy still but quick render times).

That was a lot easier than I expected! Rendered to 32bit exr and just key framed the exposure changes in After Effects.

Comment

Glad to hear that you are satisfied with the results from that workflow.
                  How many lights do you have in the scene and what is the difference in render times between probabilistic lights ON and OFF?
                  Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                  Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Good question: not in front of computer right now but from memory I probably had 80 or so vray IES lights (it was an arcade in a shopping mall, with IES lights in each of the shops all left at 8 samples each)

When I tested with a Single Frame render, there was still a pretty big difference in render time between Probabilistic samples at 32 vs Probabilistic turned off. But like I said that was a noisy result at 32 (it was a fairly fast camera movement and low resolution so I got away with it.)

I'd assume though that that difference in render time between Probabilistic on and off would have diminished somewhat using Mulyiframe Incremental? Cos Probabilistic would only affect the GI phase right, not the rendering phase?
                    I only compared on vs off in a Single Frame render, which would have, as a proportion of rendering time, had to calculate the whole GI for the frame. Whereas using Multiframe Incremental it'd only have added a little bit of GI calculation each frame? is that how it works?
                    Last edited by Richard7666; 06-03-2015, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Update, I've rendered the same project with a few minor changes to geometry and it's come out with GI artifacts in two sections. Rebusfarm think it might be because my camera flies from inside to outside, but its the same settings as previous and basically the same scene.

It looks identical, except in these two sections : /

Comment

Did you re-calculate the GI?
                        Chris Jackson
                        Shiftmedia
                        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Working...
                        X