Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should GGX be used?

Hello,

I have been reading around the fourms last night and I have seen a few posts that are suggesting people are opting to use GGX as a default BDRF type for ALL Shaders / Materials?

Can I get peoples opinions on this? Should you be using GGX for all Materials, Glass, Plastic, Metal? And if so is there a chart made yet for the tail fall off for these materials?

Sorry if I am behind the 8 ball but there is so much information to take in regarding this!

If anyone can share there thought it would be very helpful.

Thanks.
    Ashton Woolley
    Senior CGI Generalist

ASHTONWOOLLEY.COM

In case you haven't seen this... https://labs.chaosgroup.com/index.ph...-the-gtr-brdf/
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
      Brilliant - I have not seen this, thanks for sharing.

I actually am a Maya V-Ray user, does anyone know if 3.1 for Maya has been released?

Also now with 3.1 is it correct to assume you should now be using GGX as default for all shaders?
      Ashton Woolley
      Senior CGI Generalist

ASHTONWOOLLEY.COM

Comment

I guess you can use it for everything; the reason that it's not the default is that it is not too well tested yet. If we decide that it works without problems, we will probably make it the default BRDF.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Use for everything and set higher value 3-5 on the tail falloff to get similar to Blinn and Ward. It always looks better though.
          admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
          Mastering CGI
          CGSociety Folio
          CREAM Studios
          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Brilliant, Thanks for the info!
            Ashton Woolley
            Senior CGI Generalist

ASHTONWOOLLEY.COM

Comment

Would be cool to get a chart in the Vray help with some real world values for some settings as a way to create mental connections between values. Cloth, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
                Would be cool to get a chart in the Vray help with some real world values for some settings as a way to create mental connections between values. Cloth, etc.
                https://labs.chaosgroup.com/wp-conte..._old_gamma.png

I think this chart is very good for matching real world objects glossiness.... I did some cloth yesterday with about glossiness at 0.24 and ggx tail at 3.5 - I can post the exact setting when I get to work.
                Ashton Woolley
                Senior CGI Generalist

ASHTONWOOLLEY.COM

Comment

It's a great graph, what I mean is a list next to it that says things like (as you've posted) a certain cloth is .24 / 3.5

I guess anyone can just make their own but time savers are great.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                    I guess you can use it for everything; the reason that it's not the default is that it is not too well tested yet. If we decide that it works without problems, we will probably make it the default BRDF.
                    I just saw this - https://labs.chaosgroup.com/index.ph...-the-gtr-brdf/

Which refers to it needing a fix that'll be in the next service pack. is this out/have an eta? We were about to update but if there's another fix incoming we'll hold off.

Comment

The next service pack will probably come out sometime in May.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                        The next service pack will probably come out sometime in May.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        That's the one that will work with Max 2016?
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                          That's the one that will work with Max 2016?
                          Yes; although technically even the current build will work in Max 2016 (they are binary compatible). However there are some new features in Max 2016 that we added support for in the new SP.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

Working...
                          X