Possible changes to Vray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible changes to Vray

Here are a few of changes I think would be great for vray.

1) It would be great for VrayIES if we can have the option to set the power of the light to Watts, Lumens, etc. to get correct lighting. In the manual it says it determines the light in lumens, but it doesn't seem correct, I have to put out some serious high settings to see the light. Plus a lot of us work in watts.

2) Choice to choose the video card and priority of the card for VrayRT right inside Max. with this we can open multiple Max's and assign a card to each one to render out multiple projects at once. With ocldeviseselect.exe you choose for aoverall permanent setting. Octane has this feature. also ocldeviseselect.exe never works for me, always crashes on startup.

3) We have Physicalcamera, but how about physical eye? A cam (or eye) that replicates the human eye, another words auto exposure, no burnouts, no over dark shadows or areas. I think this would be awesome and add much more realism and ease of use to rendering. - VrayPhysicalEye

4) VrayBitmap - Several other renderers have this like corona Bitmap for instance, and I think they are getting 10-15% increase in rendering speed because of it. would be nice to have integrated color correction in that also.

Anyway, I know some are much harder to implement than others, but it would be great! Thanks again to the team of chaos group for all there amazing work.

Originally posted by Donfarese View Post
    1) It would be great for VrayIES if we can have the option to set the power of the light to Watts, Lumens, etc. to get correct lighting. In the manual it says it determines the light in lumens, but it doesn't seem correct, I have to put out some serious high settings to see the light. Plus a lot of us work in watts.
    V-Ray takes the power info from the IES profile. However many profiles store wrong information. I thought about an option to use the actual light power, and not the one prescribed in the file, so I'll make a note about this.

2) Choice to choose the video card and priority of the card for VrayRT right inside Max. with this we can open multiple Max's and assign a card to each one to render out multiple projects at once.
    Already done for the next SP.

3) We have Physicalcamera, but how about physical eye? A cam (or eye) that replicates the human eye, another words auto exposure, no burnouts, no over dark shadows or areas. I think this would be awesome and add much more realism and ease of use to rendering. - VrayPhysicalEye
    No, this is wrong. Only you with your own eyes can see the world around you. A computer does not simulate how we see the world. The best it can do is simulate some physical device like a camera.

4) VrayBitmap - Several other renderers have this like corona Bitmap for instance, and I think they are getting 10-15% increase in rendering speed because of it. would be nice to have integrated color correction in that also.
    That's not true, CoronaBitmap is not faster than the Max Bitmap and in some cases is slower. Whatever speed it has seems to be because it doesn't implement filtering quite properly yet, or implements lower quality filtering (like bilinear instead of cubic). With that said, some improvements to VRayHDRI are certainly possible to make it a few percent faster. However make no mistake - the Max Bitmap is actually really good (if Bitmap pager is off). It only mildly sucks for HDR floating-point images.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the info and quick response Vlado. All sounds good to me. Is there a chance of seeing progress of LC for Vray RT in the VFB and in the current task while rendering like for Vray adv? Also is there a way to automatically close the CMB prompt window of vray RT after rendering is done? I only ask cause I noticed that as long as that window is open after a render it will keep my Videocard at a high boost instead of going back to idle speed.

Comment

Is there a chance of seeing progress of LC for Vray RT in the VFB and in the current task while rendering like for Vray adv?
        Already done for the next SP.

Also is there a way to automatically close the CMB prompt window of vray RT after rendering is done? I only ask cause I noticed that as long as that window is open after a render it will keep my Videocard at a high boost instead of going back to idle speed.
        Hm, interesting. What tool are you using to measure that? Newer builds don't open a command prompt at all (the rendering happens in 3ds Max itself), so I have to figure out if there's something else we need to do.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

I am using my EVGA PrecisionX. I thought that was still normal to have the CMD Prompt window open. It gives you all the info and errors. I'm using 3.20.02 x64. Would be nice if we didn't need it. Right now I only look at it for lightcache progress and if there is an error. But it's a pain stays open even after render is done and keeps my Videocard on load.

Comment

vray physical eye lol

Comment

Originally posted by squintnic View Post
              vray physical eye lol
              Vray physical stink eye

Comment

using watts for light as output or input?

since different types of bulb have different efficiency i assume you mean output, but then who knows how efficient all the light types are?
                WerT
                www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by werticus View Post
                  using watts for light as output or input?

since different types of bulb have different efficiency i assume you mean output, but then who knows how efficient all the light types are?
                  Well to be accurate we should have an output watts setting and an efficiency setting.

Comment

Well to be accurate we should have an output watts setting and an efficiency setting.
                    I'm not really sure... I don't think I've seen a light bulb that specifies efficiency value. IES profiles don't contain this value either. The lumen value is supposed to be the final actual light output and most light bulbs specify exactly that.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Working...
                    X