Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRay light made 'Invisible' behind clear object removes refraction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay light made 'Invisible' behind clear object removes refraction.

I have an object with a glass material in VRay. All photographers know to light glass from behind. When I put a V-Ray Plane light behind an object with a glass material the refraction looks fantastic.

But, I can see the white shape of the light behind and I want my object on a very dark background. When I make the light 'Invisible' (like we always do when we don't actually want to see the physical light object) the refracted light coming through goes away.

What I've always loved about 3d lighting is the ability to do things with lights that you can't in the studio, most importantly, being able to hide the light object and still have it cast rays.

Is there a way to have a light behind a glass object and hide it and still have the light come through?

I've included two renders. On the left is the light behind and the nice refraction. On the right I've made the light 'Invisible' and background looks like I need it to but the refracted light is gone. The reflection under the object is there so I know the light is on but the refraction is gone.

I know I could render an alpha and composite to remove the light behind the object but I'd rather just have it be invisible and still function properly. I also realize that I can change the 'Fog multiplier' in the material to 0.01 and see the light but it fills the entire object. I lose the hard edge of the light as seen through the object.

Click image for larger version

Name:	refract.png
Views:	1
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	881995
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
    -----------------------------------------
    Autodesk Expert Elite Member

I use a plane with vraylightmtl and make it not visible to camera in object properties if I need something like this.

You can also then exclude it from the floors reflection only, by using the reflection exclude in vray properties of the floor. Just exclude the light plane.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Raven; 27-06-2015, 04:33 AM.
    Gavin Jeoffreys
    Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Good suggestion Gavin, I rarely use a vraylightmtl and in this instance I forgot about it. I think this should work nicely and give me the result I need. Thank you...
      V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
      -----------------------------------------
      Autodesk Expert Elite Member

Comment

Working...
      X