• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA problem: SelfIllumination + 32bit Comping

- assign a SelfIllumination Shader to an object
    - rendering 32bit floating
    - subpixel mapping is on
    - clamping is off

I do NOT clamp so I can use the .exr files to use my passes and build back to my RGB beauty pass.

However, if I do so AND BECAUSE I DO NOT CLAMP the AA can't handle the edges - jaggy and fuzzy.

Soooo.. what other options would I have ?
    What's your workaround ?
    How do you deal with that stuff ?

Thx
    www.bernhardrieder.com
    rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

Are your self illuminated values more than 1.0 (white)? Are you using a sharpening filter for your aa? It's kind of a normal thing for values brighter than white - most of these things would be glowed / softened in post a little bit as would tend to happen in real life - you get flare and glow off those highlights.

The other option would be to do your comp as normal with the jaggy edges and as a last step do some colour correction to bring down only those very bright values so the final non float output has a slightly nicer roll off into the highlights.

Comment

- The SelfIlu value within the shader is set to value 1.
      However, even so.. when teh camera exposure is changing, it happens that sometimes that value goes slightly above 1... like 1.2

- no sharpening filter or any post filter is used

well.. the post process you describe.. you are saying, pull down the self ilumination values so it's under 1 ?
      right ?

will test that and see if that will "kill" the jaggy edges.....

not sure about it yet.. since the AA is then in all passes I guess.... or did you mean something else ?

thanks for your input.. appreciate it - thumbs up and happy pixeling !
      www.bernhardrieder.com
      rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

Comment

Can you send us a scene(+render elements) and composition so we could see and hopefully resolve this issue?
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
        X