No announcement yet.

Ok it´s 16. June today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think one of the reasons some users dont feel like they have gotten more than they bought might because some people who have bought vray recently might have seen not many point updates and not that many new exciting features. However in reality what was on sale was vray 1.0 and all updates since then were free. So those of us who were there from the start have seen tonnes of new features added. So in actuality we really did get tonnes more than we paid for. If it was like other plugins we might have gotten 1.0 and not seen anything again till 1.5.

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Great avatar Elf
      Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

aw geez... im jealous of that avatar...hehe

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

http://home.caribsurf.com/elfpro/fanboy.jpg
          ehehe

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

oh no I could never rip it off....Id have to come up with one of my own... Maybe one that says "I swear I am NOT a fanboi..."

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Well i have to say its thru

fanboys of this world come together !!!

Comment

You have to agree that there are a lot of things that are not on this list in 1.09.03n/r. That is why, for me at least since I'm still using max 5.1, I have had the 1.1 I was promised for a long time, and everything I get now is just a bonus.

But what do I know.. I'm just a fanboy running havoc so I'm not entitled to an opinion. Maybe I would feel differently if like Janus and you I was using max 6 and needed DR every day.

don´t be so shy, you can call yourself fanboy no. 1 without hybris egz.

was the unlimited image output and unlimited geometry engine announced for the standalone version or v1.1?

i only hope that history will not repeat.

Comment

tom/Da_elf:

love those avatars...first time I saw them I just burst in hysterical laughing...hehehe

....now, where is yours egz?? :P

paul.

Comment

OH

vote for Vlado for President

oh i love this thread

Comment

<-- mine is right there
                      Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

you all crazy!

Comment

I'm going to jump in and add my two cents in here because I think some of the arguments are somewhat uncalled for.

I work with VRay in production for short form (commercials) and medium form (short films) with a crew of about 10-12 artists. I come from a Mental Ray background all the way when it was back on SGIs with Softimage 3.x.

I've seen and used many renderers in my career - we even bought Finalrender when it first came out when we were told it worked well.

VRay is not just a good renderer, it is an exceptional renderer, on par with high end renderers like Mental Ray. The output is of excellent quality, if you know how to use it properly, and you have a strong artistic background.

Now for my point. In commercial production using VRay, we have never required a feature that wasn't there, regardless of what was 'promised' or not. When we did have a problem (such as the MAX distributive render strips not lining up, Vlado fixed it for us within 3 days. I'd say thats pretty impressive client relations, especially compared to any other company with have dealt with. Chaos Group has always gone out of their way to provide us with the required updates, when necessary.

Even when a new update comes out, we don't jump on it. This is for obvious reasons - if you are in the middle of a project, it is suicide to switch your renderer since you may come across new unexpected bugs. Take the new 1.45 release for instance. We are very anxious to try it out, but can't and won't until we finish our current project. What is the point of this? That features aren't necessarily so crucial in a production pipeline, or at least for the kind of work that we do.

I have noticed that there are a lot of architectural firms here using VRay and I understand their needs are different then ours, particularly with the distributive rendering, but again, the MAX6 one is a temporary solution that works (and works well) until the VRay one comes out. It has worked great for all of our high resolution print ads.

I for one have absolutely no problem with when VRay is due out. The current release supports more than enough features to let us do virtually any project we would need to, and those major bugs that pop up every once in a while, are almost always immediately fixed.

I also don't know how big the Chaos Group is, but I do know Vlado and Peter are the two people mainly responsible for VRay (sorry if I've missed anyone else). Two people is not a lot of programmers so cut them a break - there's only so much they can do between the two of them.

So that's it. To summarize, we have been using VRay for serious commercial and short film production since it's introduction and it has ALWAYS performed flawlessly and with the highest quality output. I have no complaints and I would jump to Chaos Group's defense anytime for having put out such an exceptional renderer. I'll patiently await their next release WHEN THEY ARE READY TO RELEASE IT because there's no point in putting out a release that is buggy.

-Richard
                          Richard Rosenman
                          Creative Director
                          http://www.hatchstudios.com
                          http://www.richardrosenman.com

Comment

yeah...what he said

(by the way. i think those advil commercials you did back in the beta stage of vray are still playing on TV. the one with the vice and the one with the drill. hehe)

Comment

Take the new 1.45 release for instance. We are very anxious to try it out, but can't and won't until we finish our current project......
                              Again, you basically have version 1.5......

The people who are getting frustrated are not so lucky.

As I said before, it's not so difficult to remain patient when you already have a version with most (all?) of the new features in it......

Comment

Extreemly well said Richard...

I really don't think people will listen to you... your point has been made many times, but some people will simply love to complain.

They don't realize how lucky they are to have what they do. They have never had to deal with other "high end" extreemly expensive rendering engine along with all of their problems.

I would love to see how they react if they ever had to deal with renderman or mentalray.

I wish they would all get so frustrated that they use other rendering engines just so they realize how good they had it with Vray.

But all they want to do is say "where is my 1.5.." and "why can't I get vray for cinema4d..."

Iguess havign the fastest GI rendering engine in the world is just not good enough for them... on top of that, they can get that portion of it FOR FREE....

I would challenge any of them to try something else.

Comment

Working...
                                X