Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.30.01 BETA - interior large flat areas - SLOW

Hi all

On a large(ish) interior I'm busy with (warehouse size), I'm not seeing the astranomical speed increases others are mentioning on their tests. I can't post screenshots or a scene, but it's a "restuarant" type scenario with chairs tables and place settings etc. The textures are mostly single colour or simple bitmaps with very little variation in colour. Mostly everything is made up of "flat" geometry. Nothing much round. Most thing has fresnel and glossy between 1 and lowest I think is 0.5.

At 3K, with default settings (adaptive), the render starts of saying 30 hours estimate, and keeps on climbing. I cancelled it after 2 hours as it was just too rediculous.
    I also tried IR/LC but with medim preset for IR but still it didnt improve things.
    So I went back to default settings (adaptive again) and I changed AA to 2,8 and increased MSR to 26 and increased noise to 0.02 (not 0.002)
    For view1 this brought final render times down to 4.5 hours and for view2 to 8.5 hours.
    So I pushed it up to 5K and for view2 I got 25 Hours as final render and 12 Hours for view1

This is all on a single i7 3930 with 32GB RAM.

Hmmm some more info. Initially the lighting mainly was GI (sunlight outside). But it was very noisy. I added some vray plane lights in skylight portal mode at the windows and it helped clean things up a bit. Inside is some lights, but it doesn't really contribute much.

Sample rate is mostly green and VERY red with some minor blue in between. If I increase the AA to lower the red, then render times increase dramatically.
    What am I missing?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

<shrug> Without a scene there's really nothing I can say. You can send a part of your scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com

With that said, the next beta will have some further speed improvements.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I will try and get clearance from the client, but I doubt they will give it.
      Anything more I can say is that there's thousands of objects (it was a 3ds import)
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        ...the next beta will have some further speed improvements.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        When do you expect the next beta to be available and will a render with the 1st beta LOOk the same as one with the 2nd beta?
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

It will render the same. I can get you a preview build to try out.

Best regards
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I think you should try to isolate the problem, this is the best workflow.
            Try to override materials first to check if that is not about material. After that try to play with lights and etc. In the end you will find out what is giving you problem.
            Available for remote work.
            My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
              I will try and get clearance from the client, but I doubt they will give it.
              Anything more I can say is that there's thousands of objects (it was a 3ds import)
              Why not optimize your scene a bit; thousands of objects doesn't sound like a scene anybody would want to work with. Have you tried collapsing most of it to one object, as to see if it makes a difference.
              A.

---------------------
              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

do you happen to have any coplanar faces in the scene? those can kill rendertimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleg_Budeanu View Post
                  Try to override materials first to check if that is not about material. After that try to play with lights and etc.
                  All materials are VRay materials (some vrmats). This new workflow ignores your subdivs, so how much more trouble can a material give? Most things are on default reflection/refraction depth of 5
                  Same with lights, how can I "play" with the lights? The lights are where they are, not much can be done about them. Again subdivs are ignored

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                  Why not optimize your scene a bit; thousands of objects doesn't sound like a scene anybody would want to work with. Have you tried collapsing most of it to one object, as to see if it makes a difference.
                  I can select things by material, that's about it. I did manage to make proxies of some of the common repeats.
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
                    do you happen to have any coplanar faces in the scene? those can kill rendertimes.
                    There's a couple yes. That's why I initially I rendered with secondary rays bias override of 0.001. It was taking forever so I set it back to the default of 0,0 but it didnt make a difference
                    The coplaner faces aren't in the areas that are taking forever however. The coplaner things are a small part of it, although there wasn't time to disect thousands of objects to try and find duplicates
                    Last edited by Morne; 19-11-2015, 11:11 AM.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      It will render the same. I can get you a preview build to try out.

Best regards
                      Vlado

Yes please
                      Kind Regards,
                      Morne

Comment

hard to say with no settings and no images
                        a case of PEBCAK perhaps

Comment

Originally posted by squintnic View Post
                          hard to say with no settings and no images
                          a case of PEBCAK perhaps

I believe I did mention my settings, and the "wiring" between my keyboard and chair is just fine, thank you for your concern :- )
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

Last resort I do is to start fresh. Select by material and save out, and import into a fresh scene. Render and see when the time skyrocket to know where to look.

Comment

You can debug the scene in a fast preview render mode, Hyde all object and then Unhide per group. It can take you some time but less than 25 hours for sure.
                              You can then narrow your group when you reach a longer render time.

Comment

Working...
                              X