Weathered material help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weathered material help

I'm trying to create a material similar to the attached. Siger Shaders don't really have anything similar in their metals. My question is to how to go about a different color tone on the edges to make the material appear to be worn? What map(s) might I be looking for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bennington Hardware.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	486.9 KB
ID:	883293
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

I never did it myself but I guess it should include a dirt map somewhere in the process

You should read this article from Neil http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educat...usion_rust.htm

It's for rust but the idea is the same. His other articles are also really precious because he always tries multiple workflows to achieve a result and updates frequently with the latest tachnologies http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_educat..._education.htm

And you can thank him here cuz he's a regular visitor of this forum
    Last edited by Pixelab; 05-01-2016, 10:04 AM.
    Philippe Steels
    Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

VrayBlend with 2 layers:
      1 your black, patinated, low reflection metal
      2 shiny brass

Blend amount mask = vraydirt, invert normals on, white as occluded color and black as unoccluded. Adjust dirt radius and falloff, run the dirtmap through output map to tweak the intensity with output curve.
      All there is to it

If you want to go the extra mile, use some noise for dirt radius. Maybe throw the whole mask in a composite map and add some more random light wear areas on top, so it's not just on edges.

You could also give curvaturemap a try instead of vraydirt, might work better or worse depending on your particular object's geometry.
      Last edited by viscorbel; 05-01-2016, 12:38 PM.

Comment

As pixelab said check out neil blevins but also

You should read this article from Viscorbel http://viscorbel.com/rusty-painted-metal-material-vray/
        It's for rust but the idea is the same. His other articles are also really precious because he always tries multiple workflows to achieve a result and updates frequently with the latest tachnologies http://viscorbel.com/free-tutorials

And you can thank him here cuz he's a regular visitor of this forum

Thanks Viscorbel your tutorials are great.

Comment

Thanks for the information, viscorbel. Two points of clarification:

1) In the VrayBlend, I would leave the base material set to "none".
          2) For the Blend amount, do I need to set that for both 1 and 2?

I discovered that VrayBlend and Siger Shaders do not work together. Crashes every time! I guess I'll have to make my own base materials of which I wish I could say I was more proficient at.

Dave
          David Anderson
          www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
          Windows 10 Pro
          3ds Max 2023.3 Update
          V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
          Puget Systems
          TRX40 EATX
          128GB RAM

Comment

Actually, you should use the first layer in the base slot and the second in the first coat slot.
            The mask is needed to show vray where the shiny metal will be visible, so use it for that layer.

One more tip. This type of blended material might need some bump that looks the same way across the 2 different layers - you can put the vrayblend material inside a vraybumpmtl and assign the bump from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Streetwise View Post
              I discovered that VrayBlend and Siger Shaders do not work together. Crashes every time!..
              Dave
              Which material not work with VRayBlend? All materials are created on VRayMtl and work with V-Ray and V-Ray plugins (materials, textures, etc..) without problems.

Material in your reference is very simple and can be created in several methods. Also you can create as single layer material (play with compositing maps in reflection/reflection glossiness, diffuse, bump...). Basic material in this principle you can find in VMPPmax metal>Special Finishes>Oil Rubbed Venetian Bronze

Name:	A1_3_7.jpg
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	859469.

Best way - VRayBlend.
              Last edited by Siger; 06-01-2016, 10:02 AM.
              Regimantas Valiukas
              SIGER STUDIO
              www.sigerstudio.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Siger View Post
                Which material not work with VRayBlend?
                It turns out that using Siger Shader materials in VRayBlend channels 1 and 2 was the issue. When I re-did it using the base for material 1 and channel 1 for material 2, that seemed to fix it so it didn't crash anymore.
                David Anderson
                www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
                Windows 10 Pro
                3ds Max 2023.3 Update
                V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
                Puget Systems
                TRX40 EATX
                128GB RAM

Comment

I tried creating a distressed bronze material with the same brass shiny highlights on the edges doing what you suggested here viscorbel. But the polished brass just seems to integrate evenly throughout the whole material. Trying to figure out how you get it to just show on the edges?
                  Can you elaborate just a little on how you run the dirtmap through output map.
                  Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by Streetwise View Post
                    I'm trying to create a material similar to the attached. Siger Shaders don't really have anything similar in their metals. My question is to how to go about a different color tone on the edges to make the material appear to be worn? What map(s) might I be looking for?
                    This thread reminded me that I was planning on doing a bit of a material study regarding this very effect.
                    If the rendering below interests anyone, I can make the file available.

-Alan
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ok, so here's a quick example with no bumps, glossies, or whatnot.
                      the important part is the mask. You need to tweak a few things to fit your model:
                      - noise in the vraydirt radius slot
                      - vraydirt radius and falloff
                      - output map curve

It would be handy to use something like texmappreview script from Neil (soulburnscripts pack) to preview the each part for tweaking separately.

Name:	shader.png
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	859477

Name:	sample.jpg
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	859478

Comment

The only thing I'm unclear about at this point, (well, things), are how you get the worn areas to be in the right places.
                        And, my blend mask creates a very thin line of the shiny material showing through and adjusting the radius and falloff in the VRaydirt isn't having any affect.
                        Where would you go from here?

Name:	lamp.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	859494

Comment

Try to paint a B&W vertex color map and use the result as a mask. See this video. If the map is "blocky", you'll need to subdivide your mesh more in the areas where you need finer map detail.

Originally posted by vanderloo View Post
                          The only thing I'm unclear about at this point, (well, things), are how you get the worn areas to be in the right places.
                          Aleksandar Mitov
                          www.renarvisuals.com
                          office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
                          AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
                          64GB DDR5
                          GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Originally posted by vanderloo View Post
                            And, my blend mask creates a very thin line of the shiny material showing through and adjusting the radius and falloff in the VRaydirt isn't having any affect.
                            Where would you go from here?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27959[/ATTACH]
                            Just adjust your radius / faloff. If you need more control - you can throw your VRayDirt map into the Output map and adjust its intensity / contrast via curves.
                            I'd start with simple 100% black and 100% vraylightmtl , to clearly see the mask VRayDirt creates.
                            Available for remote work.
                            My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Originally posted by viscorbel View Post
                              Ok, so here's a quick example with no bumps, glossies, or whatnot.
                              the important part is the mask. You need to tweak a few things to fit your model:
                              - noise in the vraydirt radius slot
                              - vraydirt radius and falloff
                              - output map curve
                              Two things I have questions on when trying to duplicate what you have done (see screen shot):

1) When I attach materials to the coat and blend slots, there's a second attachment to a Dup slot. Not sure what that is, but I can't seem to get rid of it.
                              2) I'm curious to know what your "complex fresnal" map looks like? It appears to be a fall-off of some sort, or I saw something about VRayOSLTex, but I'm unsure how to create what I need for that.

All other materials I have duplicated pretty much to what you laid out.

Thanks much!

Name:	Capture.PNG
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	859694
                              David Anderson
                              www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
                              Windows 10 Pro
                              3ds Max 2023.3 Update
                              V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1