VRayDisplacementMod in one dimension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayDisplacementMod in one dimension?

Is it possible to get displacement in one dimension, rather than along normals?

I have a sign that is divided into four panels. Each panel is chamfered (rounded). I would like to displace a graphic into those panels, and have it correctly push in the portions of the graphic that cross the borders of the chamfered panels (imaging four chamfered boxes next to each other, and you want to emboss a word in them, going across the edges of the four panels). However, now the displacement wants to displace along the normals, and since the edges are chamfered this means the edges get messed up (push inward along their normal rather than straight back in Y).

I can't chamfer after displacement because this is not possible (I did try VRayEdgesTex and could not get the result I wanted).

Basically, if I could have a displacement displace only in a single direction it would be great, Oh... perhaps using the vector displace mode... hmmm...

For now I resorted to using ProBoolen, which worked, but it less than ideal, as the graphic may change.

could you include the chamfer in the displacement map?

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
      could you include the chamfer in the displacement map?
      Interesting... Perhaps. Not a bad idea. Thanks.

I shall see if the client likes it as is. If not, and they want to change the maps, then I can re-work like this. Thanks again.

Comment

You could use object-space displacement, I guess... but you might need to use a ColorCorrection texture to figure out which channel (red/green/blue) pushes in the direction you want.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          You could use object-space displacement, I guess... but you might need to use a ColorCorrection texture to figure out which channel (red/green/blue) pushes in the direction you want.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I will try this as well. The color correction was what I was trying to do with vector displacement, but as I am sure you know I found that the vector displacement is still relative to the surface normals (or UV aligned perpendicular to said normal).

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
            I found that the vector displacement is still relative to the surface normals (or UV aligned perpendicular to said normal).
            Not the object-space one...

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X