Dirty 'meshsmooth' when using displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty 'meshsmooth' when using displacement

When I try to use diplacement in vray, I of course have to apply a meshsmooth modifier so the corners dont bust out.

But when I add meshsmooth, the geometry always gets dirty and it renders with strange shadows. I've found that by subdividing the geometry it changes those funky shadows but doesnt make them go away.

So with this the case, I've often had to not use displacement at all and use crappy bump maps instead.

I haven't read anything about this on the forum before - does anybody know how to fix this?

I'm using Viz 2005 and file linking in my dwg's.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Tim Nelson
    timnelson3d.com

you dont need to use meshsmooth, just tick "tight bounds" in the vraydisplacement mod's rollout.

Thats all.

and "keen continuity" if your using 3d mapping....i think

Comment

I'll have to try that. I did try the "keep continuity" option for 3d mapping but still it didn't look as nice as the 2d mapping did. And I don't remember if I had the "tight bounds" checked or not.

But I remember from before that everyone says to add a meshsmooth modifier so your corners don't come apart.

Thanks for replying DaForce - much appreciated.
      Tim Nelson
      timnelson3d.com

Comment

Well I just tried checking 'tight bounds' and it looks much better, but now the corners of my objects look like they have been rounded over.
        Tim Nelson
        timnelson3d.com

Comment

...what if you apply the uvw map after meshsmooth in the stack....?
          Needs more cowbell

Comment

I didn't think it mattered in which order you stack your modifiers. I usually uvw first and then add displacement, and then meshsmooth.

i'll give it a shot though. thanks
            Tim Nelson
            timnelson3d.com

Comment

The order is very important. As far as I know, anything after VRayDisplacement is ignored.

--Jon

Comment

Have you tried it without meshsmooth at alll? cause with tight bounds that will stop the mesh from breaking apart, and there is no need for meshsmooth as that is whats causing your edges to be rounded over.

Comment

Yea I tried tight bounds without meshsmooth and it was still making the corners appear rounded a little.

For those of you that use meshsmooth, are you supposed to do that before or after your displacement modifier?
                  Tim Nelson
                  timnelson3d.com

Comment

try with the vraydisplacement mod as the last item on the stack.

Comment

will do. i'll be trying it here in a bit so i'll let you know how it works
                      Tim Nelson
                      timnelson3d.com

Comment

Well I was still having problems no matter what order I put the modifiers in...it still looked ugly. Then I tried switching to 3d mapping and checking 'keep continuity'. That worked better but had some funny lines in it. Then I switched back to 2d and all of a sudden it looks really good! Is it because the 'keep continuity' button is checked still? I think it does because now I don't even have tight bounds checked and the corners are still together & without a meshsmooth modifier either.
                        Tim Nelson
                        timnelson3d.com

Comment

hmmm can you post a few renders of the problems you are having?

It seems quite strange.

Comment

Sure, I'll see if I can post some shots later. But for now the deadline is fast approaching!.....as always.
                            Tim Nelson
                            timnelson3d.com

Comment

hehe damn deadlines, always to close

Here is a little something i started the other nite. Very bland so far, but i will build it up.

I find using 2d does produce easier results sometimes, but can be harder to setup with and object that has displacement on more than one side.

Comment

Working...
                              X