No announcement yet.

Dirty 'meshsmooth' when using displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats a nice looking brick texture. Do you ever use bump maps along with displacement at the same time? Thats what I'm doing right now and it seems to be working well. I'm trying to do a split face cmu block though, and so far, thats probably one of the hardest things to actually make look realistic.
    Tim Nelson
    timnelson3d.com

Comment

Nah, i havnt tried that as yet, i will give it a shot.

Yeah i can imagine, sure would be pretty tricky.

Comment

Originally posted by timmatron
        Well I was still having problems no matter what order I put the modifiers in...it still looked ugly. Then I tried switching to 3d mapping and checking 'keep continuity'. That worked better but had some funny lines in it. Then I switched back to 2d and all of a sudden it looks really good! Is it because the 'keep continuity' button is checked still? I think it does because now I don't even have tight bounds checked and the corners are still together & without a meshsmooth modifier either.
        I noticed that too some time ago, sometimes this 'trick' works, sometimes not. I think there are some serious things wrong with displacement and the continuity.
        Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

I just found another technique that keeps the corners together. Actually its a tip from John Pruden of Digital-X but I just now tried his suggestion.

Using the shift values, you can keep the corners from coming apart when using 2d displacement. So if my disp. amount is 1", then set the shift value to -1", and this seems to be keeping my geometry in place.

Thanks John!

Note: you have to switch to 3d displacement mode, change the shift value, and then switch back to 2d mode for it to work.
          Tim Nelson
          timnelson3d.com

Comment

Working...
          X