Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precise/targeted undersampling

Hi,

I got to do a sand-blasted-like material with a grain size too tiny to do via a bumpmap. Now I tried adding simple noise in PS for that parts of the object and it works pretty good. Now I wonder if there is a possibility to do that directly in VRay by undersampling a specific material? I wanna keep the rest of the image normal but basically add noise in a single material.

As I said it's not feasible to do via bumpmap since it's too tiny.
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

why not add the noise to the diffuse or reflection level maps? for really fine grained stuff i usually prefer that to doing bump mapping.

Comment

I don't want to alter anything. Basically I don't want to tinker around with a per-se good shader anymore, JUST add some noise. I mean it's not THAT big of a deal, since I can do it in PS also, but I was just wondering if there is an easy way to do it directly in max.
      Software:
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

you might be able to get the desired result by drastically reducing the subdiv multiplier on the object ( in vray properties) but id just do it in PS since the result will be adjustable.

Comment

The thing is that is only the value for the DMC sampler. Then AA will try to clean it up, resulting in higher rendertimes, am I right?. Maybe PS is the best option afterall...
          Software:
          3ds Max 2016 SP4
          V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
          64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Another option would be to render the object on a second pass with lower settings.
            There are plenty of options to render specific objects in the scene in V-Ray 3.x and since the goal is to render a noisy image it won't take much time to do it as a second render.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
            X