No announcement yet.

3dsmax 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, I waited for SP1, but I guess SP1 might be the new SP3.

Here is what I use for the Select by Material, which was reported in right away and wasn't fixed in SP1. I assumed it would be fixed is SP2, because of its importance , but it wasn't.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	863323
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Still on 2016 here. Yes, you still can't use select by material but here's the kicker... you can no longer select objects if the gizmo is in front of them! This is getting absurd. Autodesk better get their sh*t together. We are not upgrading to 2017 if the object selection with gizmo bug is not fixed. Anyone who wants to see these bugs fixed and actually start using Max 2017 should submit a bug report to Autodesk. The more people report them, the higher the chances to be fixed. http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-defectsubmission
      Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

• The upgrade option, while under subscription, doesn't exist. Yes, you can decide to stay on an earlier version, but you are still paying for the newest that doesn't work. We are almost 1/2 way through the release year and most can't use 3DS MAX 2017.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Also, you can't select a Forest Pro element unless there isn't anything under it. I have to turn my Forest-Pro grass plane off before I can pick the Forest-Pro grass. I know the Forest Pro guys have reported it to Autodesk.

I bet the money people over at AD are rejoicing in the cash flow, not having any knowledge of the mess going on with the end user. I read this very thing happening with Microsoft and Windows 8/8.1. Heck, yesterday I read Carl Bass talking about some major renovations over at AD, all while I am working blindly because the software is half baked.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
            Still on 2016 here. Yes, you still can't use select by material but here's the kicker... you can no longer select objects if the gizmo is in front of them! This is getting absurd. Autodesk better get their sh*t together. We are not upgrading to 2017 if the object selection with gizmo bug is not fixed. Anyone who wants to see these bugs fixed and actually start using Max 2017 should submit a bug report to Autodesk. The more people report them, the higher the chances to be fixed. http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-defectsubmission
            Normally I would spend time beta testing for free for Autodesk, even paying them to fill their bug reports etc. But that one is so buggy that I most of time prefer to spend time learning Blender (which is absolutely amazing for the price) and also Houdini. So if Autodesk decides suddenly to kill max like they did for Softimage (remember that product that was created in Quebec?) at least I will have an emergency exit.

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
            Little Antman
            See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
            Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

• Originally posted by jstrob View Post
              Normally I would spend time beta testing for free for Autodesk, even paying them to fill their bug reports etc. But that one is so buggy that I most of time prefer to spend time learning Blender (which is absolutely amazing for the price) and also Houdini. So if Autodesk decides suddenly to kill max like they did for Softimage (remember that product that was created in Quebec?) at least I will have an emergency exit.
              Good thinking but here's the problem. We have invested more than €15 000 in 3ds Max licenses, upgrades and accompanying plugins & scripts and it's infuriating to think we should spend time learning other software when the only thing we need is for things to just work. New features aside, can we at least have things not get broken with each new release? That's not too much to ask for the price we pay for upgrades each year, is it?
              Last edited by Alex_M; 31-08-2016, 10:20 AM.
              AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

• Originally posted by jstrob View Post
                This is exactly what I think...See others solutions, Blender is one of them....

Originally Posted by Alex_M
                Good thinking but here's the problem. We have invested more than €15 000 in 3ds Max licenses, upgrades and accompanying plugins & scripts and it's infuriating to think we should spend time learning other software when the only thing we need is for things to just work. New features aside, can we at least have things not get broken with each new release? That's not too much to ask for the price we pay for upgrades each year, is it?

EXACTLY!! This is completely normal. We all paid for it .. We do not pay for a beta that will never work !
                By the way, this is totally crazy for me ... how can we have any trust in AD when you see what's happening at every release... it's worst every year, every release... As rightly says Bobby, we are almost 1/2 way through the release year and most can't use 3DS MAX 2017 ! Can we hope to have a truly stable 3ds max 2017 without bugs before the next release ??? come on !

I am really sad ... We have a monster with Vray, but bullshit with max (although I love Max) AD takes the best way to kill 3ds max, that's all...

sorry to be boring but I'm so bummed...
                (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

• Sorry, some problem with the second quote but it's all right
                  Last edited by rikou; 31-08-2016, 10:43 AM.
                  (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

• If you have ever had problem of TrackView is unusable because of excessive amount of garbage tracks.
                    You can usually notice it by sudden jumps of file size.
                    We have been suffered by this for years and finally had a chance to make a before/after scene.
                    After I sent the file to Autodesk, they fixed the bug.
                    It is in 2017. This fix alone made up to move to 2017.

2017 also have fix for the notorious uv bug in obj export.
                    If you use ZBrush, you can use obj without issues.

Comment

• Does anyone have a say on these guys (AD)? Can anyone attempt to put some sort of business ethics in on them? How can they extort money out of one year after year and give you a product that half works? I don't understand. Compare it to Chaos, they give you VRay, for example, for as long as they feel like and then make you upgrade "if you want to" and give you discounts when Upgrading from a previous version. They give you upgrades in between that solves issues and make it faster for you to render and overall respond very fast to your problems and solve them as fast as they can. Their team is always in touch and want to help you out. Is there really no way to get AD to get to that level? Any suggestions?

Comment

• Capitalism at its best. They can charge whatever they want. Buy all the others up, put them out of business, and hike up your price. The board of directors are laughing all the way to the bank.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Yup, they are capitalizing on the fact that many people are already heavily invested in their product in terms of money, training, 3d assets etc. and they feel that they can do whatever they wish with their customers because it's hard for us to abandon our investment. As long as there is no big competition the situation will remain like this. Not to mention that the upgrade price for new releases, in my opinion, doesn't match the quality of delivered product. That's pretty dishonorable of Autodesk to ask for such high prices. I think that if they cut their price of 3ds Max in half, that would be more fair given the quality and speed of development. Blender is trying to step on the stage where the "big players" are and I hope with version 3.0 they can put some pressure on AD to start doing their job right. It's hard to believe that Blender with just a handful of full-time developers are almost matching the level of Autodesk which have without exaggeration thousands of times bigger budget and resources for software development.
                          Last edited by Alex_M; 31-08-2016, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• If Autodesk feels even remotely threatened, they'll just buy them and close them down.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
                              Yup, they are capitalizing on the fact that many people are already heavily invested in their product in terms of money, training, 3d assets etc. and they feel that they can do whatever they wish with their customers because it's hard for us to abandon our investment. As long as there is no big competition the situation will remain like this. Not to mention that the upgrade price for new releases, in my opinion, doesn't match the quality of delivered product. That's pretty dishonorable of Autodesk to ask for such high prices. I think that if they cut their price of 3ds Max in half, that would be more fair given the quality and speed of development. Blender is trying to step on the stage where the "big players" are and I hope with version 3.0 they can put some pressure on AD to start doing their job right. It's hard to believe that Blender with just a handful of full-time developers are almost matching the level of Autodesk which have without exaggeration thousands of times bigger budget and resources for software development.
                              That's what I was thinking. Someone in the office is trying out Blender right now. Unfortunately I have to turn over all of my jobs to another section that uses Maya and 3DS Max, so I can't use Blender. However, apparently Blender is quite sweet and coming up nicely. If something is resolved in terms of export of files in blender and able to turn over a job for my VFX department from Blender to Maya/3DS Max, AD can forget about seeing my name in their books ever again. I'd happily even pay Blender for their product. I was checking it out; and then there is VRay for Blender, so.... the last piece of the puzzle needs to fit in, which is to be able to turn over my files to the VFX department... to be continued, as soon as I see Blender 3.0....

Comment

• We are all miserable, complaining, but we keep on paying the ransom. I say we schedule a protest. We can block the AD office entrance. However, I sincerely think that the suits have no clue what is going on; they think that they are creating incredible software. It's like when I call Apple support. They act like I am the only person with an issue and the issue is actually me. Yet, I read hundreds of complaints, about the very issue I am having, on-line. You know, "you are holding it wrong!"
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X