No announcement yet.

3dsmax 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched some youtube videos about modeling in Houdini and it looks horrible ... I would be totally lost if I had to switch

this is some nightmare : https://vimeo.com/112114913
    Last edited by lukx; 29-09-2016, 09:26 AM.
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

• Originally posted by lukx View Post
      I watched some youtube videos about modeling in Houdini and it looks horrible ... I would be totally lost if I had to switch

this is some nightmare : https://vimeo.com/112114913
      For sure when doing any software switch you are always as lost as when you began but if you have a lot of experience in any soft it never takes as much time to find your way out.

3D models are really the easiest thing to transfer from soft to soft. Personnaly I used to be a great fan of 3dsmax modeling for years, but since I bought Zbrush and now that we have the zmodeler feature, I do really all my modeling in Zbrush. I can imagine if you do architecture you would prefer to still use max for modeling (or Blender with the archimesh included addon). but zbrush can also do impressive architecture modeling as well as hard surface. 3D sculpting, dynamesh and automatic retopo is the way to go for modeling anything without any doubt in my mind.

Made in zbrush by the great modeler Sebcesoir who the first guy to teach me something in zbrush while we worked together at Ubisoft many years ago..:

On the other hand procedural modeling can also do amazing things in the architetural field. Think procedural struture or cities.

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
      Little Antman
      See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
      Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

• also see array mesh building in zbrush:

Little Antman

Comment

• Originally posted by jstrob View Post
          The court smacked Autodesk over the right to sell used software on eBay. The judge confirmed that we have the right to sell old softwares. So if we can sell them I guess we can also use them!
          see this:
          http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...used-software/
          I think he eventually lost.
          https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...software.shtml

Comment

• Yeah Im also hard ZBrush user but somehow cant get use to zmodeler. Btw ZBrush was my best software investement. I bought license almost 10 years ago and all updates till now were free !
            Luke Szeflinski
            :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

• Originally posted by lukx View Post
              Yeah Im also hard ZBrush user but somehow cant get use to zmodeler. Btw ZBrush was my best software investement. I bought license almost 10 years ago and all updates till now were free !
              Absolutely! the best investement!!!! A true honest comany run by a genius!

Little Antman

Comment

• Originally posted by gandhics View Post
                LOL!!! I didn't remember that. It was in the US and I don't think they would win in Canada.

That's very strange cause in the case of reselling used books (Kirtsaeng v. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.), the same US Supreme court did the exact opposite by reversing previous lower court rulings and confirming the first sale doctrine (=you bought it you own it).
                In 2013, the U.S. Supreme Court reversed the Second Circuit and held that Kirtsaeng's sale of lawfully-made copies purchased overseas was protected by the first-sale doctrine. The Court held that the first sale doctrine applies to goods manufactured outside of the United States, and the protections and exceptions offered by the Copyright Act to works "lawfully made under this title" is not limited by geography. Rather, it applies to all copies legally made anywhere, not just in the United States, in accordance with U.S. copyright law. The Justices said that the first-sale doctrine applies to all books, wherever made. So even if you buy a book made in England, you can resell it without permission from the publisher. [4]
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirtsa..._%26_Sons,_Inc.

Anyway I won't tell you what I think of supreme court, 6 or 7 people who decide what's good or wrong in everything in a theoretical democracy?

Anyway another very honest company is Maxxon. I once won a C4D license and they allowed me to resell it since I did'nt need it.

Little Antman

Comment

• In europe the Supreme court think differently:
                  In Europe, the European Court of Justice ruled on July 3, 2012, that it is indeed permissible to resell software licenses even if the digital good has been downloaded directly from the Internet, and that the first-sale doctrine applied whenever software was originally sold to a customer for an unlimited amount of time, as such sale involves a transfer of ownership, thus prohibiting any software maker from preventing the resale of their software by any of their legitimate owners.[4][5][6] The court requires that the previous owner must no longer be able to use the licensed software after the resale, but finds that the practical difficulties in enforcing this clause should not be an obstacle to authorizing resale, as they are also present for software which can be installed from physical supports, where the first-sale doctrine is in force.[7][8] The ruling applies to the European Union, but could indirectly find its way to North America; moreover the situation could entice publishers to offer platforms for a secondary market.[5]

Little Antman

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Hart View Post
                    SP3 is currently being tested on the Beta site and they have fixed this issue thankfully. It shouldn't be long before it's available to the public
                    Originally posted by jstrob View Post
                    But we are not supposed to talk about anything we know from the Beta Bruce. Another great concept straigh from the corporate way of thinking! Because they are listed on the stock market they have to work in secret!

When beta testing Blender you can speak to anyone about anything without worry.

What do you prefer?

Originally posted by Bruce Hart View Post
                    sorry - won't happen again
                    Lawsuit for spreading insider info incoming...

Just joking, hehe.
                    Last edited by Alex_M; 29-09-2016, 11:35 AM.
                    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

• 2017 SP3 Released

Just wanted to post here really quick and let you all know that 2017 SP3 is released. See more information here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-ma...d/td-p/6593126

Best Regards,
                      AJ DeFlaminis

Comment

• i just can't think of a non autodesk alternative to 3Ds Max. it has such an amazing options of plugins and scripts both free and commercial. also i love the modifier stack and see some interesting things being developed using MCG.

C4D and modo have no appeal to me and their development isn't exactly exciting. Houdini is really just a TD and FX package, looks too complicated for me.

i'd maybe consider a combo of using blender to model and Clarisse for layout/lighting/rendering

Comment

• Originally posted by Companioncube View Post
                          i just can't think of a non autodesk alternative to 3Ds Max. it has such an amazing options of plugins and scripts both free and commercial. also i love the modifier stack and see some interesting things being developed using MCG.

C4D and modo have no appeal to me and their development isn't exactly exciting. Houdini is really just a TD and FX package, looks too complicated for me.

i'd maybe consider a combo of using blender to model and Clarisse for layout/lighting/rendering
                          About Houdini. I used to think the same until I learned it a bit more. there is absolutely nothing it can't do and once you reach a certain level you realized it's far more easier to learn than max and plugins cause everything works the same. So if you are like me a generalist and have to do everything, it's far more easier to do it with Houdini (except for modeling other than procedural because of Zbrush). Just as an example if you know how to cache hair, you know how to cache fluids. geo, particles, anything you can cache works just the same. I will stop here cause Houdini is for me nothing less than the Holy Grail of CG!

About Clarisse I didn't really know what it was just checked it looks pretty amazing.
                          Last edited by jstrob; 29-09-2016, 05:37 PM.

Little Antman

Comment

• Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
                            Just wanted to post here really quick and let you all know that 2017 SP3 is released. See more information here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-ma...d/td-p/6593126

Best Regards,
                            AJ DeFlaminis
                            Just installed it and yes select by material is now working

I must test hairfarm now.

Little Antman

Comment

Just installed it and yes select by material is now working

I must test hairfarm now.
                              Finally! However, it's a sad they when you realize that you are getting excited about a simple basic feature of an app working again after being broken for half an year after release. Autodesk should really up their game.
                              Last edited by Alex_M; 29-09-2016, 05:57 PM.
                              Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                              AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

About Houdini. I used to think the same until I learned it a bit more. there is absolutely nothing it can't do and once you reach a certain level you realized it's far more easier to learn than max and plugins cause everything works the same. So if you are like me a generalist and have to do everything, it's far more easier to do it with Houdini (except for modeling other than procedural because of Zbrush). Just as an example if you know how to cache hair, you know how to cache fluids. geo, particles, anything you can cache works just the same. I will stop here cause Houdini is for me nothing less than the Holy Grail of CG!

About Clarisse I didn't really know what it was just checked it looks pretty amazing.
                                Hmm.. Houdini as a generalist tool....
                                As a person who have to babysit all Houdini request, I may have a different opinion.
                                Even our Houdini guys come back to 3dsMax or Maya for non-sim/non-procedural stuff.
                                Yes, you "can" do anything. But, can-do-in-time is a different story.

I think this way. If you think pflow box#3/TP/MCG is not for you, then your alternative would be C4D or Modo, not Houdini.

Comment

Working...
                                X