vray and corona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by samuel_bubat View Post
    Oh yeah the good old days I found an image from the last millenium. Povray anyone ?
    ahh, haha i think we had a similar 3d education..! i started with Povray (free on the cover floppy of pc-format )

i remember doing chrome spheres on checkerboards (24 hrs for a 640x480 image on my 386-25 pc..)

a little later i discovered the metaballs in povray, and spent the best part of a week working out how to describe a (basic) person made of metaballs using the povray description language (graph paper for top/left/front views, and a calculator) in chrome, of course.

- i was going to upload it to show, but it appears my oldest archive hard drive is now unreadable. shame

then moved on to Moray (you can SEE what you are modelling!!!)

fast forward to the relative present...

for me there was another renderer before finalrender..

im trying to remember what it was called.. i think it had GI in the title. but i could be wrong.

i also remember the moment i tried a very basic Vray beta for the first time... the irradiance map was -sooo- clean compared to finalrender's gi !

ahh reminiscing about the 3d past is so much better than discussing small differences between current renderers dont you think? thread hijack? whos the oldest 3d dinosaur on here?

Comment

• I started in 1992, working for a hotel design/build firm. I used Accurender inside AutoCAD. I was hired to hand draw the illustrations and saw a sealed Accurender box on someone's bookshelf, asked to use it, and I have been digital since.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

• Bryce and poser!

Comment

• Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          Bryce and poser!
          bryce? you young pup. vistapro ftw.

Comment

• Originally posted by voltron7 View Post
            But BMWs do rock
            I have both, I love both, but bmw is faster....
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

• Originally posted by super gnu View Post
              bryce? you young pup. vistapro ftw.
              I got nothing.

Fold.

Comment

• Now this is cool! The video is a must watch as its seriously impressive that they did this in 1972! The only bad part is I feel older now as I am 2 years older than this video lol
                http://nerdplusart.com/first-3d-rend...isit-to-pixar/
                Cheers,
                -dave
                â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

• Imagine3d, Pov-Ray (and when they were available, the ancillary tools), 3ds2 (missed v1!), vistaPro (soon supplanted by World Construction Set from a Russian duo, which blew my mind, back then...) and last but not least, BMRT (if for too short a time: once on NT, Max came about...).
                  Boy do i NOT miss those days...
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                    Imagine3d, Pov-Ray (and when they were available, the ancillary tools), 3ds2 (missed v1!), vistaPro (soon supplanted by World Construction Set from a Russian duo, which blew my mind, back then...) and last but not least, BMRT (if for too short a time: once on NT, Max came about...).
                    Boy do i NOT miss those days...

i tend to disagree in a rose-tinted kinda way..

when i was fiddling with pov-ray back then, and especially vistapro, i was "creating worlds that didnt exist" and the excitement at simply rendering a view/exploring the world i had created gave me such a buzz. plus hardly anyone even knew what cgi was back then, so it was exotic, mysterious.. and extremely futuristic.

now its just dull clients showing you a clip from avatar and saying "like that for £200 please" and there is so much pre-made stuff available that (grinch) you can get a job in 3d without even -wanting- to know much about how it all works.. not quite so magical and exciting.

Comment

• Ah! Oh i agree to the rose-tinted perspective!
                      It's just that looking back at the results back then, man, it's between gross and disheartening.
                      And my dad still has no idea of what i spent 25 years of my life doing, and why people ought to pay me at the end of the month.
                      So, for me some of that magic hasn't disappeared! :P
                      Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• yes of course, the results were, in hindsight, spectacularly ugly.. but at the time they were amazing. and i distinctly remember people even back then saying "but its not a photo? "

not , ill admit, because i was some kind of amazing guru, but just that people only knew drawings, or photos.. and a rendering is always closer to a photo, even if its a photo of something angular, and either perfectly mirrored or mud coloured.

Comment

• I started with Maya 7 and MR. It looks like i am a kid.
                          www.deex.info

Comment

• yes unfortunately most of you "kids" kick my butt in ability :P i think i stopped being ahead of the curve about 10 years ago...

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbossfr View Post
                              I started with Maya 7 and MR. It looks like i am a kid.
                              In film school they had maya 2, and when I rolled into 3d they just upgraded to maya 3, which featured "full" polygonal modeling tool set (before that it was all nurbs) and every one was like - this poly modeling is going to change everything!

Of course my very first exp with 3d was discreet max 2, and it had fur and cloth plugins back then, which to me today is still impressive. I recall doing a flag sim (this is back in 199......

its a bit disappointing that more then 20 years later the cloth and hair are not one click solutions in realtime...........
                              Dmitry Vinnik
                              Silhouette Images Inc.
                              ShowReel:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                              https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

• Started with 3ds max 2012 oh the good ol' days hahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X