how to make this rock wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to make this rock wall

any ideas how create a realistic rendering of this rockwall?

need it for closeup and with the typical deep carves....

vray displacement? a "random rock"-script?

thanks for any input...
    -
    render forza!

-----

Office Le Nomade, Vienna

web: www.oln.at
    blog: blog.oln.at

Displacement

Comment

yea I agree , the easiest way would prob be using displacement.

-dave
      Cheers,
      -dave
      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Ok, displacement would be really great indeed, but imagine... several hours of painting? Well, I have an alternative. It's maybe not the best one, yet still realted with displacement and a little bit of modeling. Make some simple mesh in your 3d software (something like facets, bigger and smaller ones, with a different amount of sides). It should look like this:
        http://www.frenzy.neostrada.pl/smpl/1.gif
        After that, extrude the faces and bevel them. You can also adjust the distance of extrusion of each "rock" and the angle of front faces. It should look like this:
        http://www.frenzy.neostrada.pl/smpl/2.gif
        When you will have the whole, than you can apply some displacement map to it (I would advice ZBrush - export the mesh to obj, import with ZBrush and feel the ease of interaction). Thatz it. You may apply some diffusion maps later. This is the way I would do it. Cheers!

P.S. Sorry for my English!

Comment

definitly use displacement.

Its just a matter of making the displacement map.

2 ways quickly come to mind.

If you able to take another picture of that wall take it front on and then in photoshop edit the image so you get a nice displacement map (quite easy, but if you dont know how just ask) or have a look around the web at free textures sutes and you should be able to find a nice rock texture make that can be easily make into a great displacement map for you to use.

Comment

thanks everyone,

i tried intense's method and it works nicely, but then decided to play with
            displacement map...

the still map has some bugs (spikes & tiling) and the rocks are not as "sharp" as in the image but its going in the right direction...

-
            render forza!

-----

Office Le Nomade, Vienna

web: www.oln.at
            blog: blog.oln.at

Comment

You weren't listening to me. You see... it's hard to do the rocks with displacement only, it's hard to make te front faces of rock angled, yet still plane. I was saying that you should model the base, and THEN APLLY THE DISPLACEMENT MAP ON THAT BASE. It'll work best, belive me.

Comment

yeah try what intense said.

a good combo of both modelling and displacement

Comment

If you feel a bit lazy or do not have much time, here's a dirty trick to get your BASE wall (before displacement).

Get a plane, subdivide it (around 150x100), add a max displacement mod, adjust it to fit your expectations. Blur the map a bit to avoid spikes.
                  Then multires it to something like to 30 or 50%. Collaspe it to a mesh.

Add a vray displacement map. Play with it.
                  You'll have the better of the 2 worlds without too much efforts.

If your wall has corners, you'll need to adjust UVs on the mesh (stich coincident UV faces) prior to do that.

Comment

@ DaForce,

Can you tell me how to make a displacement map in Photoshop ?

Regards,

Gert

Comment

yep will do.

i will make a simple tut tonight.

Comment

Comment

i will make a simple tut tonight.
                          I have heared that the nights are long down under, but I never knew that they are this long.

Regards,

Gert

Comment

whoops......HAHAHAH

sorry, completely forgot. I tend to do that.

I will do it ASAP...sorry again.

ohh and yes the nights are long and cold at the moment

Comment

Working...
                            X