one way mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one way mirror

Is it achievable in vray? I'm guessing I'd turn off 'double-sided' on a mirror and glass materials, and slap them on either side of a thin plane of geometry.
    Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Are you trying to achieve an actual, realistic one way mirror or trying to cheat it?

The former is caused by using a highly reflective glass (just a high IOR) and a darkened room on one side. That's how to do it IRL, not sure how to cheat it.
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

good tip. for the mirror side I had to give it full refraction (as well as reflection) and things seem to be working!
      Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
        Are you trying to achieve an actual, realistic one way mirror or trying to cheat it?

The former is caused by using a highly reflective glass (just a high IOR) and a darkened room on one side. That's how to do it IRL, not sure how to cheat it.
        Watched an infinity mirror tutorial on YouTube earlier.. and the read mirror object, thin box, is your basic full mirror material and the front two way mirror, was cheating, by creating a plane, front facing inward to ward the mirror and turning off visible to camera.. HOWEVER both mirrors, should create the infinity effect and the guy doing the tutorial, used high IOR and increased max depth. I gave it a go and instead turned off fresnel and dim distance and dim fall diffused . The problem with both is, the cheat method, doesn't really work, as the rear actual mirror, cannot reflect anything from the outside, only the lights from the inside, because you the camera renders only the reflection from the front (fake) one way mirror, which of course blocks anything from the other side

Comment

I did this with a Vray 2 sided material on a plane
          One side is fully reflective/refractive, with a reflection ior of 100
          One side is just standard glass.
          Tick box saying Multiply Front by Diffuse.

EDIT: Actually, it just works with chrome on one side and glass on the other, so it's the multiply by front diffuse that makes it work as required.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by fixeighted; 03-11-2020, 03:41 AM.
          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

I cracked it.. Infinity mirror, that reflects and you can see through

two thin boxes, front and back

material for both mirrors

diffuse (pure black)
            reflect (pure white)
            Fresnel ON
            IOR 22.5
            Max Depth 121
            Dim Distance 42.8
            Dim Falloff 1.0
            Refraction (pure white)

Click image for larger version

Name:	real infinity mirror.jpg