No announcement yet.

Would you recommend to use Max 2017?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone once posted a Window 10 tweaker, which I tried, but kind of wonked things up, so I reset to defaults and uninstalled. Maybe, something got permanently screwed up. Everything else runs fine; it's just MAX that runs slow.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I heard the new icons in max 2017 were not intuitive at all.

I did read the max 2017 review in 3d artist where Ayi Sanchex concludes by saying that it's another little step that takes 3ds max closer to the new era. Funny how Autodesk market 3dsmax as being all new bigger and better but do they think we are stupid ? We use max all the time and can see the very small iterations they make that to me (can't speak for the rest of us) make no difference at all.
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
        Someone once posted a Window 10 tweaker, which I tried, but kind of wonked things up, so I reset to defaults and uninstalled. Maybe, something got permanently screwed up. Everything else runs fine; it's just MAX that runs slow.
        I think that might have been me; should have written a disclaimer prior to posting the link
        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
          I think that might have been me; should have written a disclaimer prior to posting the link
          can you post it again? I'll see what happens if I reinstall it.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
            I heard the new icons in max 2017 were not intuitive at all. I did read the max 2017 review in 3d artist where Ayi Sanchex concludes by saying that it's another little step that takes 3ds max closer to the new era. Funny how Autodesk market 3dsmax as being all new bigger and better but do they think we are stupid ? We use max all the time and can see the very small iterations they make that to me (can't speak for the rest of us) make no difference at all.
            So far, to be honest, no reason to upgrade. For me, it's being able to see the icons on my 4K. Since I'm under subscription, why not upgrade! If I were on 2014, and own it, I would probably stay there.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
              So far, to be honest, no reason to upgrade. For me, it's being able to see the icons on my 4K. Since I'm under subscription, why not upgrade! If I were on 2014, and own it, I would probably stay there.
              Yes, if under subscription why not.

Here is the link to winaerotweaker: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

i found this one, but it wasn't the one I remember. The other one was really 1-click.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I have a hunch that a lot of my issues is the video drivers. When I open anything, I get the checkboard on everything for the first 15 seconds. If I toggle to more than one viewport, MAX will freeze, every time. Several times a day I get the video driver has crashed and recovered, however, MAX never does.
                  Bobby Parker
                  www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                  • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

No, I would not recommend it. After spending time on the AD forum, all my issues have been confirmed plus many more bugs that I haven't had issues with, yet. The checkerboard issue makes it so I can't work and things like the broken 'select by material' is a real inconvenience. I don't think people will miss anything if they don't upgrade, other than the UI, but only if you are on a 4K screen. Really, it is just a few things and I am sure AD will work it out. Once they do, I think 2017 will be great. All just IMO.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

While you are looking at the checkerboard viewport, 3ds Max is actually compiling the GPU shaders for the "Realistic" viewport. Depending on the complexity of the shaders, this might take quite a while. Using some of the other viewport modes will be faster.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Jip, even with older max versions, I don't use "Realistic" as my scenes are too complex and realistic is just too slow to keep up. Shaded or Shaded with Edges is much faster. Granted, I haven't tested this yet in 2017
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

I completely agree, I never use Realistic as its generally a PITA and most of the time where I have had a moment to give it a shot I usually get all black anyway so I file it under useless and avoid it.

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                          Jip, even with older max versions, I don't use "Realistic" as my scenes are too complex and realistic is just too slow to keep up. Shaded or Shaded with Edges is much faster. Granted, I haven't tested this yet in 2017
                          Cheers,
                          -dave
                          ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

A moderator over on the AD forum mentioned that SP1 wasn't really a SP. It was more of a quick fix for some immediate issues. In MAX 2017 it isn't called realistic. Basically, everything other than standard and performance crashes MAX. It might sound funny, but if MAX 2017 didn't crash 20X a day, it would be a good release. Hopefully, SP2 comes out soon and it fixes all this stuff. Until then, I am in MAX 2016. However, other than the bigger icons, I really don't see a reason not to stay in MAX 2016.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I am on my first project being started in 2017 and all is good. Four hours into it and not one crash. If they hurry up and fix the 'get from material', MAX 2017 might be the best yet.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Does anyone really use Max 2017 in production?! I would be really surprised. For us the viewport navigation is hell! Panning and zooming are extremely erratic and unpredictable. On rare occasions it works fine but most of the time you pan/zoom with 100 miles an hour and the thing you're working on goes out of view all the time. Has anyone found a way to bring back the old style (pre Max 2017) navigation? Maybe a line of code somewhere in the INI file to revert it back? No Max 2017 for us until this is fixed. Maybe for the first time in many years I'm this mad at paying the subscription price for such a broken release. How could they manage to mess up a fundamental part of 3D such as viewport navigation is beyond me. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
                                Aleksandar Mitov
                                www.renarvisuals.com
                                office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
                                AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
                                64GB DDR5
                                GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Working...
                                X