Extra tex height map gradient?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra tex height map gradient?

So this is sort of a max question more than a Vray one. I am trying to put a height map gradient on a large scene with extraTex and world z planar mapping.

Seems like I am reaching the maximum realworld scale units and cannot scale the map any further.

I am trying to do this without explicit UVW mapping on the geo. Simply using planar world.

I have tried Distance blend in a falloff with world z but the units dont seem to correlate at all.

Ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	heightRGB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	885253
    Reel 2016

Use a planar UV map in Y or Z orientation and align it to fit your mesh and put the map channel number onto something you aren't using if you want to keep any existing mapping.
    Maxscript made easy....
    davewortley.wordpress.com
    Follow me here:
    facebook.com/MaxMadeEasy

If you don't MaxScript, then have a look at my blog and learn how easy and powerful it can be.

Comment

Thanks Dave, yeah I am aware of this. The issue is I have a few forest pack scatters and putting a UVW map on it blows away the scattering. Was hoping to find a world space type option that doesnt require explicit mapping.
      Reel 2016

Comment

You could adapt this technique using VrayDistanceTex to drive the gradient mapping. I'm not sure how Forest would respond to the result though.

http://xoio-air.de/2011/procedural-wave-maps/

This is what I came up with. The blue plane is aligned to the bottom of the terrain so the distance will be calculated from that elevation.
        Attached Files

Comment

Worked brilliantly! Still couldn't get the rgb gradient because the object sizes are too large, but the two-tone is just fine. Now we can comp low level haze

Thanks PixelJockey.

Click image for larger version

Name:	heighmap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	863261
          Reel 2016

Comment

Working...
          X