Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very Big Scene Setup and Vray usage Workflow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Big Scene Setup and Vray usage Workflow?

Hello,

we have a big project, and we want to do a very big scene Scale, like 25,000,000 m2 square meters of land. it is an airport that we wanna construct from scratch with 3dsmax and v-ray.

we're using 3dsmax 2016-2017 and latest v-ray to achieve a realistic animation of the airport (like 2 mins of flythrough with simple animations)

1- i was wondering if there is a workflow, fast workflow to follow to build this airport without loading too much the GPU and render the animation fastly, we're using Vray vrmesh to load the high poly planes and warehouses,... is that correct? what if i wanna do an animation? for the whole airport? maybe we should do that in compositing?

2- any idea? workflow? tutorial? (few are the tutorials about the large scale scenes for animations)

3- Are the Bruteforce/Lightcache rendering for animation to this large scale scene is a good option for non-flickering and highly detailed geometry render?

Thanks
    Oliver
    PC Specs: CPU i9-14900K - GPU RTX 4090 - RAM 192GB 5200MHz - MB Asus ROG Maximus Dark Hero

any idea? we have an upcoming project and we need to know.
    PC Specs: CPU i9-14900K - GPU RTX 4090 - RAM 192GB 5200MHz - MB Asus ROG Maximus Dark Hero

Comment

Are you sure you want to use GPU ? The amount of RAM available with CPU workflow can be tremendously higher. Many memory problems just go away with more RAM...

This will change in the future but we are not yet in 2020 so best to stick with CPU (if possible) for that kind of projects.

AFAIK, for CPU workflow :

Vraymesh is a good way to go, maybe wait for 3.5 and test the new VRayScene - vray mesh with textures (embedded?)

Textures are often the culprit of high memory use, work in HD (4k/8k) but eventually downsample in the end the textures for far or small objects to 1k/2k. This can be easly done & automated if you have a good worflow from the start.

Try to use iToo tools (Forest-Railclone) for vegetation/ instancing. They do wonder for hi poly instancing and don't have a big impact on memory use.

on a 3DSMAX note, I read that nesting xrefs scenes into Xref scenes is very slow in MAX 2017, Autodesk support on their forum asks users to "change their workflow" (looks like bullying more than support if you ask me...)
      Philippe Steels
      Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

Working...
      X