No announcement yet.

Brute force Test Very slow :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one more thing comes to mind: how to quick-fix noise in too dark shaders - rise the gamma in color mapping. It's an old trick but should still work to some degree - it skewes the way vray sees dark colors.
    Marcin Piotrowski
    youtube

Comment

so for a general usage well build shader used for exterior and interior whets the best range.
      I like gettgin the most out of the render without having to color correct but is i use something like 10-15 for a black and 200-215 for white, then following the good physical values for exposures and lighting i get the blacks very unusable without color correction and tone mapping.

What is the correct workflow then?
      Using 10-15 for black woudl basically mean redoing all our assets (speaking about TB of data)....but the output is not worth it as the black come out ugly as hell - not to mention when some reflection is applied on top.

And by the way - how do the albedo values translate into RGB values???

Cheers

M
      Last edited by PIXELBOX_SRO; 10-07-2017, 03:45 AM.
      Martin
      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

sure, renders will have "milky" blacks. sure, renders need tone mapping and color grading to look like photos. redoing assets? well, same thing happened when linear workflow was introduced to broader public. just simple progress.

albedo to color swatch? use vray color map - this should be basic color input for vray if you need precision.
        Marcin Piotrowski
        youtube

Comment

Originally posted by piotrus3333 View Post
          sure, renders will have "milky" blacks. sure, renders need tone mapping and color grading to look like photos. redoing assets? well, same thing happened when linear workflow was introduced to broader public. just simple progress.

albedo to color swatch? use vray color map - this should be basic color input for vray if you need precision.
          ah...did not know albedo is set in linear values.....DOH
          Martin

Comment

its % of reflected light. for example 18% gray card used in photography has diffuse value 0,18 in VRayColorMap or 46 in 3ds max color swatch.
            Marcin Piotrowski
            youtube

Comment

Right thanks for the pointer...i tried testing the new values in one simple interior today with whites between 190-210 and blacks around 10 with ev set to 8 i was surprised how much vray sun still burns the whites even when set to 0.2 multiplier....of course without using vray correction tools. So with these setting i was able then to grade the image to get some nicer blacks back while keeping the whites around 1 float or right under it. I will have to explore this in more situations....
              ...for exteriors, the black value of 10 becomes quite unusable being very gray.

so how do you guys do it when you have a vizualisation that covers both interior and exterior? Do you have two types of black even if its the same kind of material? I seriously doubt that

I am fine with white levels but the blacks really do my headin
              Last edited by PIXELBOX_SRO; 10-07-2017, 12:23 PM.
              Martin

Comment

heh, one blackest black is enough.
                in mixed scenes (interior/exterior) it is even more important to use realistic lights. power and color from manufacturers data, simple as that. render that through realistic camera, tonemap it, grade it and done.
                Marcin Piotrowski
                youtube

Comment

i could sign under that BUT it comes down to question whether sun multiplier at 1 is really correct
                  As far as i ve seen most of the people here on the forum always tweak the sun power to certain extent.
                  And since the exposure tables have been here quite forever, i take them as rule of thumb - therefore i am a little surprised the vrays sunlight at default setting still creates so much burn even on dark materials and completely overexposing whites set to quite decent levels ranging from 180 to 210.

Anyway, here is and example from my test setup which focuses on indirect bounced sunlight:

the 3 balls are these color swatches: 128 gray, 210 white, 10 black
                  table is 10-15 black

even if i grade the render, the "black" ball is still missing a bit of the blackness - however - i am happy wiht the table blackness which has a little reflection/specular added to it

Martin

Comment

do not compare raw vray sun renders with photos tonemaped by camera. vray sun needs reinhard compresion.
                    Marcin Piotrowski
                    youtube

Comment

Also VRaySun is set up to be rendered with VrayCam set to correct exposure levels.
                      Rens Heeren
                      Generalist
                      WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

I also recommend getting a set of gray cards, some pocket versions and just shoot some photos. these have known albedo values so it is easy to recreate them in renderer.
                        Marcin Piotrowski
                        youtube

Comment

RENS:

so are you saying the EV value of 7-8 is not correct for a daylight interior?

i am using Physical Camera .....its not meant to work with Vray sun Rens?
                          The only camera with exposure settings left in the creation tab is Physical - i doubt Vlado would let people using script to bring it back?????

What other values rather than those i have in my example interior should i use?
                          As far as i know it is recommended to use something between 4-8 depending on the situation/setting

PIOTRUS:

i was just setting an example on correctly exposed interior where the raw black value is within the recommended ranges, yet when you do the tonemap and grading you coudl still tell the blackness of the material could be a little lower, perhaps between 5-10 initially

I have left out all the camera values and detailed settings out of equation on purpose and used a EVs for exposure.....are you guys proposing this is not correct?

VLADO:

if youre reading this, could you please elaborate on what Rens is suggesting?

Cheers!
                          M
                          Last edited by PIXELBOX_SRO; 11-07-2017, 07:22 AM.
                          Martin

Comment

Hi Martin, yes sorry I mean the Physical camera. I can have a look for some standard settings for you tomorrow, but basically what I meant was that if you set the camera to settings you would use on a real-life camera, then VRaySun would (roughly) match what you would see in real life as as well. Though the intensity of the sun can vary a lot depending on clouds and other atmospheric conditions. Using realistic values for the camera and materials will ultimately get you in a range where you could just tweak the lighting intensity to get the look you want. It's just to get you easier in a range that is repeatable across scenes and simple to set up.
                            Last edited by Rens; 11-07-2017, 01:58 PM.
                            Rens Heeren
                            Generalist
                            WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

Hi Rens,
                              thanks that would be really great and i really appreciate it!
                              I got used to working with EVs nowadays as it lets me tweak apeture and shutter without affecting the exposure. I thought my EVs for interior were standard as i was always using this table:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value

Looking to your input!
                              Thanks!
                              Martin

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post

i was just setting an example on correctly exposed interior where the raw black value is within the recommended ranges, yet when you do the tonemap and grading you coudl still tell the blackness of the material could be a little lower, perhaps between 5-10 initially

M
                                what does your grading look like? highlight compression and curves should be enough to get decent looking image from VFB.
                                Marcin Piotrowski
                                youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X