To All AMD/Intel users....Conclusion...opti wins for now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To All AMD/Intel users....Conclusion...opti wins for now

Some of you might know me...i have posted most of my work here and have gotten feedbacks from all of you. As some of you know i am using a Dual Xeon 3.06 with 1Mb cache and 2 Gb ram. Recently i bought a new machine Xeon 3.06 but 800 instead of 533...even with the new board and ram and cpu....my dual opteron 244 beat the hell of my new xeon's....xeon was 2:24 while amd was 2minute 16seconds.

my configuration...AMD Opteron...win XP 64bit...2gb DDR 333 ram.
    Reza Bahari
    visual3d@streamyx.com
    013-3428162

Any Chance I can try the scene on mine (same config as your Xeon but with XP64 too)?
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

8 seconds isn't exactly beating the hell out of anything. I've heard the that xeons really outperform when there is more blurry reflection in the scene & stuff like that, but I forget where I got that from.

But I have noticed something that dissapointed me though. Since I've been using vray, I've been rendering on a dual athlon mp 2100+. The total clock speed comes out to about 3.4 ghz. I just upgraded to a dual 3.06 xeon w/ 533fsb. That comes out to just a little more than 6ghz. So I was really expecting to see my rendering speeds nearly double with the new machine. I tried a somewhat low res. rendering without any reflections and the time difference was less than impressive. I mean, clearly faster, but nowhere near twice as fast, like I thought it would be. Haven't tested on more complex scenes though.
      Tim Nelson
      timnelson3d.com

Comment

A scene that only takes 2:24 to render is hardly a good benchmark for either machine.

Try a scene that takes an hour or more preferably, with a lot glossy reflections, glass and high resolution maps. You know, a normal scene we deal with every day. I bet the xeon wins by a lot more than 8 seconds.

I have access to both types as well, and the zeon always wins on normal scenes. This of course, is only my finding and certainly may differ from yours.

Oh, I'm not trying to bash AMD, they are a great product. I have two in my farm.

Tony

Comment

bench

who is up for a little benchmark...state your comp and time to complete.
          ill mail the bench file over...
          Reza Bahari
          visual3d@streamyx.com
          013-3428162

Comment

I'll be in!

My office recently bought 6 dual opteron, 3gb rams workstations with winXP. And I always feel like they could run faster (well, I always felt like that when new computers are around .

You guys mentioned winXP 64bit. Where did you bought that? I just heared from a 64bit version that HP provides. But I'm not really good informed about that...

cheers
            marc

Comment

WinXP 64bit now in beta stage, you can download it from MS site for free.
              They promised to release it spring 2005.

All i can say is that Povray, optimized for Athlon64, tested on 64bit linux was 30% faster then it's 32bit version. As i remember, 32bit time was 1800sec, and 64bit - 1200sec.

Comment

possibly reza can benchmark it with a bigger scene ,,,, and let us know if it is worth the upgrade

Comment

possibly reza can benchmark it with a bigger scene ,,,, and let us know if it is worth the upgrade
                  He has But I haven't heard what the Opti did.

I just rendererd it at 37m24.2s

2x Xeon 3.0 800fsb
                  Supermicro x6dal-g
                  2Gb Ram DDR 333
                  Win XP64
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

Mudvin: sounds interessting; I will pass it to our it (and then it will probably take just a "few" months to get it installed

> Did I miss something? Where can I download the scene for this benchmark?

Comment

> Did I miss something? Where can I download the scene for this benchmark?
                      I emailed him for it, if it is ok with Reza I can upload it this evening.
                      Eric Boer
                      Dev

Comment

No problem....go ahead and post it rerender...ill post my result in a short while.
                        Reza Bahari
                        visual3d@streamyx.com
                        013-3428162

Comment

Thanks for the wait...i was rendering my work. Here is what it did.
                          Opteron 244
                          2GB DDR 333
                          Serial ATA Raid 0
                          Tyan Tiger K8W S2875aNRF

Time is 12 minutes and 28 seconds.

Rerender...i think you should have you machine looked at...even my Xeon clocked less than 15min.

I have to stress that this is only 1.8...not even a 2.0
                          Reza Bahari
                          visual3d@streamyx.com
                          013-3428162

Comment

Hmm, that's odd. It's done well against the Opti's before :P What version of VRay are you using?
                            Eric Boer
                            Dev

Comment

Still glued to the old version....
                              Reza Bahari
                              visual3d@streamyx.com
                              013-3428162

Comment

Working...
                              X