Glass column filled with shatterproof glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass column filled with shatterproof glass

Hi, I need some ideas on how to achieve the above while trying to keep rendering times realistic.

The design is a solid upright on each side with a glass plane front and back, this box is then filled with broken pieces of shatterproof. A light is placed at the top and bottom so as to illuminate all the broken pieces of glass.

So I need so advice on how to achieve this in the rendering.

Thanks

are you going to be using GI ?
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

I dont have max, But can it be done using particles? Making a few differnt peices of glass, then adding the particles into the box?

Comment

Sim Cloth + EGZ Glass

--Jon

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

Natty, I was hoping to, but I am struggling to get descent renderings on this job and my time is running out, so it looks like I will be falling back to Max Scanline. After my deadline I will post more on the scene and try to establish where I was going wrong.

Travistlo I was thinking along similar lines and will give it a try.

Trapezium how would you use simcloth in this scenario?

Cheers

Comment

I think you could get away with modeling three plates of glass, the middle displaced:

quick example:

Please note that this was rendered in beta 1.46.04, which does not have correct glass yet.

EDIT: if you would actualy do it with particles, I think you would need to many refractions/reflections to get it look right, which can lead to excessive render times. This was rendered in 38 seconds with 10 reflections/refractions
            You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Thanks Gijs, displacement was the other option I was thinking of, after seeing the glass blocks studies in a recent post.

Damn I wish I had more time for this project

Comment

You would model about 3 or 4 little pieces, duplicate them however many times to fill the volume then drop them all (set to Rigid body) into the container (set to Deflector) using SimCloth. You could also try dropping them in waves by collapsing each previous wave and setting the new object to a deflector for the next wave. One thing to consider for settings is that the pieces are very basic so you could probably get away with extremely low settings.

I did a quick test and there is a collapsed set, an active (simulated) set and one waiting to be dropped after collapsing the active set. Repeat this process and you'll eventually fill it up. I did have to delet a few strays before collapsing though. Now that I did the test I see just how high the face count could get so maybe it will work for you.

http://www.dtoxx.com/J_Bug/GlassGlassBox_01.max

--Jon

Comment

Working...
                X